580 to 630 strong verbal, pathetic math

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

580 to 630 strong verbal, pathetic math

by pathus21 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 am
After about 5 weeks of studying through Manhattan.

Verbal 31 to 38
Math 40 to 37

I think my problem is the inability to apply all of the basic math I mastered to actual problems. I think the solution is to practice a TON of actual GMAT math problems. Any suggestions? Also, my timing issues could definitely be improved in both sections. I finished the Verbal section literally 12 minutes early so room for improvement. (Spend more on RC and CR). Timing on SC looked good.

I believe my timing issues could be solved by doing practice versus individual problems one at a time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm
pathus21 wrote:After about 5 weeks of studying through Manhattan.

Verbal 31 to 38
Math 40 to 37

I think my problem is the inability to apply all of the basic math I mastered to actual problems. I think the solution is to practice a TON of actual GMAT math problems. Any suggestions? Also, my timing issues could definitely be improved in both sections. I finished the Verbal section literally 12 minutes early so room for improvement. (Spend more on RC and CR). Timing on SC looked good.

I believe my timing issues could be solved by doing practice versus individual problems one at a time.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hey -- good questions... here's my take. In a nutshell, you need to invest time in coming up with a study plan. A true, multi-week, day by day, study plan. Simply tackling problem after problem after problem only gets you so far.

I'd encourage you to start with these two links and let me know what you think.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-2/

Good luck!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by pathus21 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 am
Brian,

Thank you for the input. I actually got my hands on and have been using a Manhattan syllabus. I try to complete each week's objectives in 3 days and spend the other days doing extra problems/ "Try Quant/Try Harder Verbal etc".

The articles are pretty useful. I am planning on spending 75% of my study time on math until I feel good about it, then take another CAT. I think my problem is learning how to think through the problems, not the actual math computation each problem requires.

All of the lower level math I nail, I think I will do mostly mid-level math problems until I start nailing most of them and then try to tackle more challenging problems.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 pm
pathus21 wrote:Brian,

Thank you for the input. I actually got my hands on and have been using a Manhattan syllabus. I try to complete each week's objectives in 3 days and spend the other days doing extra problems/ "Try Quant/Try Harder Verbal etc".

The articles are pretty useful. I am planning on spending 75% of my study time on math until I feel good about it, then take another CAT. I think my problem is learning how to think through the problems, not the actual math computation each problem requires.

All of the lower level math I nail, I think I will do mostly mid-level math problems until I start nailing most of them and then try to tackle more challenging problems.
Your wish is my command -- take a look at these two articles (also by Stacey) that provide some timeless advice on how to go about tackling/analyzing/conquering quant problems (split into PS and DS).

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/a ... roblem.cfm
https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/a ... roblem.cfm

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help further.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)