Timing Advice needed

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Timing Advice needed

by challenger63 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 am
Hi, folks

After one year of hard struggling with GMAT, a long way from 500 to 700+ questions, I got new problem I can't manage my performance in time in difficult questions.

Having surfed the Internet, I found two incredible articles - Magoosh's lecture and Manhattan's article.

The first lecture gave me the following plan below, which I started to use:
Q 75 0
65 5
55 10
45 15
35 20
25 25
15 30
5 35
0 37

V 75 0
66 5
57 10
48 15
39 20
30 25
21 30
12 35
3 40
0 41

The Stacey's article (https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/keeping-pace.cfm)gave an idea of how I should control myself.

At the end I was able to do better SC (less than 1 min.) and CR (less than 1:30 min.). However, I still struggle with timing in quant and can't endure the even timing around the whole test.

I believe that many other people got success in time management. So, I created this post for any recommendations which might be useful in order to solve the problem.

I enclosed graphs and excel file with my timing for the last two test to the post.
The graphs shows that I was run out time. Thus, I missed 5 questions in Quant and 4 in verbal.

If somebody suggested new ideas how to improve, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
quant.png
Quant Graph
Verbal.png
Verbal Graph
TIMING.xlsx
Detail data
(56.71 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 am
It sounds like you're familiar with creating a Milestone Chart and gauging your timing every 5 questions. However, judging from these charts, you're not implementing the strategy.

That said, your timing on Jan 27 was much better than your timing on Dec 16 (especially for Verbal). You just need to keep working on it.

On your Jan 27 test, it looks like your quant section was on track until about question #15 at which point you let things slip away. Don't forget that, if, after 5 questions, you're more than 2 minutes behind, you need look for a key guessing opportunity in the next 5 questions AND you need to make that guess in order to get back on track.

If anyone is interested, we have a free time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244
In it, we discuss how to use a Milestone Chart to keep on pace.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:44 pm
Hey Challenger,

Indeed, the truth here is that you know what to do, and now you have to do it. I know you want much more brilliant advice than that, but there isn't much to say. I always tell my students there are two things that are REALLY hard for an instructor to fix: 1) stupid mistakes and 2) an inability to let go of questions.

Here are the best things I can tell you, though the odds are good you already know them:

1) You must stay on pace. When you find yourself falling behind (which you will), you must do an educated guess on the VERY NEXT question that looks difficult/time-consuming. If you are still behind, you again do an educated guess on the VERY NEXT question that looks difficult/time-consuming.

2) If you don't know EXACTLY how you're going to get to an answer by the 60 second mark, you MUST move into educated guessing mode. Period.

3) Consider practicing guessing. Find a set of questions you haven't done (or a set that it's been a really long time since you've done), and practice solving them in 1 minute. This might get you into the habit of guessing.

4) When you first set down on test day/practice-test day, before the test actually starts, write down your timing benchmarks in the upper right-hand corner of every single page. That might help remind you to stay on point.

5) I recommend checking pacing every 10 questions, rather than 5, because there is an ebb and flow in terms of going a little over and a little under. Q10:55, Q20:35, Q30:15. For verbal, it's hard to recommend any kind of HARD timing because of the confusing SC/CR/RC differences. But Magoosh's timings seem a solid framework.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:40 pm
Challenger:

Good questions and many good answers above -- I'll just weigh in with two additional thoughts.

1. Take a look at the following links -- will help give you some tips on how to best be thinking about making educated guesses, etc. And don't feel bad about educated guesses -- guessing and time optimization is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better approach than running out of time and spending way too much time on one individual question.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/07/ ... s-on-quant
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/08/ ... -on-verbal

2. I love thinking about problems as if they had a 'traffic light' associated with them.
-I read the problem and do a quick gut check: Green ('I have a good idea of what I need to do')', Yellow ('Umm... I think I know what I am doing'), Red ('Ugh.')

-I go for a minute and do a mental status check... Green -- "Keep going and get it done.", Yellow -- "Hmm.. I might need to think of an exit strategy if this doesn't get moving in the right direction soon.", Red "Time to make an educated guess."

-Approaching the two minute mark... Green -- "Get this done soon.", Yellow "If it's not green by now, it's not going to be... guessing time.", Red "Why are you still working on this -- educated guess."

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by challenger63 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm
Some more stuff, which may be helpful for other people who are struggling with timing:

1) 7 Speed Reading Software
This is for one who suffers from sub-vocalization, so one's speed of reading is around 200 wpm.
This software could definitely help.

I was able to increase my speed from 200 wpm to 400-600 wpm depending on the level of text complexity.

2) Solo - typing tutor (https://ergosolo.com/)
- if one does not master blind-typing, he or she could have problems with timing in AWA.

3) Memorizing some important stuff (enclosed the file to the post)
Verbal:
- Idioms
- Common patterns of wrong answers for SC
- Redundancy patterns for SC

Quant:
- Power table for 2 and 3
- Common fractions
- Common Triangles
- Perfect squares from 2 to 20.
- Geometry, Sequence and Combinatorics Formulas
- Quick Methods for calculation (Matrix Method, Viet's theorem with understanding when roots are even or odd,
- Common properties of Sequences, Numbers, Geometry Figures)

3) AWA - use "Chinese" Pattern (https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6- ... 64327.html)
Attachments
Workout2.xlsx
New version of Workout (idioms, perfect squares, powers, fractions, common multiples)
(183.33 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Last edited by challenger63 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:47 pm
I don't mean to openly challenge 'challenger63' here, but I will just extend an ounce of caution about looking for gimmicky time-savers. I can think of countless places where I would encourage the overwhelming majority of students to invest time, before I'd suggest spending time on how to time more quickly on the AWA.

Just recommend that folks choose wisely here.

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)