Household nuisance

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Household nuisance

by amysky_0205 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm
Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientist.

E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

OA: E

I'm able to narrow down the answer to D and E.

But still don't know why D is wrong.

can someone explain?
thank u!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:06 pm
amysky_0205 wrote:Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientist.

E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

can someone explain?
thank u!
Amy,
Can you back and get the original question here -- I'm thinking there are some typos.. at least in D/E. Thanks.
-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by nisagl750 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 pm
I prefer E over D because E is more active.

But I'll wait for original question to be posted again (for the typos, if any).

Followed by:5 members

by amysky_0205 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 am
brianlange77 wrote:
amysky_0205 wrote:Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

can someone explain?
thank u!
Amy,
Can you back and get the original question here -- I'm thinking there are some typos.. at least in D/E. Thanks.
-Brian
Oh I don't know what the original question is @@.......
i'm sorry!