4 percentage questions! Please HELP!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

4 percentage questions! Please HELP!

by pirrum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 pm
Hi,

I've been trying to work out 4 of these percentage question - but I've become really stuck! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please could you also try and show workings too - so I can learn from my errors! I'm not sure the answers I have are actually correct.

Thanks.
Attachments
gmatquestions.docx
gmat questions
(239.15 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm
Please post question in the forum.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm
I'll make you a deal -- I'll give you the first two... and then you write back and give me your work for the last two and we'll see how you did!

The first answer is 67% : (3.5-2.1) / 2.1 = 66.67%

The second answer is 140% increase : (Old Distance = 0.3 * 1000 = 300); (New Distance = 0.9 * 800 = 720); (720-300)/300 = 2.4 = 140% increase.

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by pirrum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:01 am
Thanks Brian,

I had the previous two worked out eventually, whilst the third I believe is Western?!? The fourth one I am really struggling with. Not sure how to go about it.

So instead of giving me the answers directly, how about you give me tips and hints on what to look for and how to work it out, so I can do this by myself. :)

Warm regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:16 am
For the third one, since the question is about "individuals per house", I'd think you'd want to create a ratio that allows you to compare across regions -- maybe divide # individuals by the sum of state+private houses?

For the fourth one, I'd first create a ballpark price for each region. (On paper.) Then, I'd use the sum of state+private houses from number 3 and multiply that by the price for each region.

Question -- where did these questions come from?

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by pirrum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:36 am
Not sure where you're coming from Brian, I've tried that method but am still unable to find an answer I'm happy with! Maybe I'm doing something wrong!

Would love to get these two answers night now!

Questions were from an SHL practice test - which can be found online - when practising their tests. I am just going through them thoroughly, as I am hoping to apply to future grad schemes.

Thanks,

Pirrum.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:58 pm
For question 3 -- as an example... for Northern, I'd divide 15.7M / (3.8M + 7.2M) = X... do the same for each region and figure out which ratio is highest.

For 4... Northern = (160,000 * (3.8M + 7.2M)) = X; Midland = (160,000 * 1.10) * (4.2M + 8.7M) = Y... etc... which is highest.

Thoughts?

-Brian