Smarter to start studying for DS or PS first?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Smarter to start studying for DS or PS first?

by hutch27 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:37 am
Hi,

I tried doing a quick search so I wouldn't have to post here but I couldn't find anything that answers my question. So here it is~

When I start to study for math (it's my weakest area so i'm probably going to have to cover most concepts thoroughly) should I start with DS or PS? A good explanation why and some pro's and con's for each would be helpful for me! Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:27 am
I suggest that you start with Data Sufficiency (DS). This question type is totally unique to the GMAT, so it's foreign territory. As such, everyone struggles with DS questions at first.

If you're interested, we have a free set of videos that cover everything you need to know about DS: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:47 am
The kind of content mastery that you'll need (geometry rules, quadratic rules, etc) will be equally applicable to both PS and DS, so there's no need to study for one or the other "first." Both question types test the exact same mathematical rules, just in different formats.

I think Brent is right, though. You want to understand the ideas and methodology behind DS before you start studying other content, because it's such a unique question type. Learn how to rephrase the question and how to analyze question types.

Then, start learning quant topic-by-topic. For example, using whatever study materials you have, read all about exponent rules and how they're tested. Then, do a set of OG problems dealing with exponents - and alternate between both PS and DS.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 am
I should also mention that I'm a big believer in the "fermentation" process that occurs when you learn something new. Once you've learned a basic concept, your subconscious mind plays around with that concept so that you inevitably come to have a deeper/richer understanding of it.

For this reason, I suggest that you watch all of our free Data Sufficiency videos, and then begin learning the specific GMAT content (geometry, statistics, etc.).

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:21 am
I started with the content (learning the topics) and PS. If i could go back and start my prep all over again i would have covered both PS and DS strategies together when i was doing the concept part. For example when covering Geometry i should have learnt and practiced strategy for PS and DS before moving on to another topic. I spent a good 1.5 months with concept and PS before i moved to DS and practicing questions.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas