Help!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

Help!

by sana.noor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 am
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

a. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
b. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those persisting
c. among hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting
d. between hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
e. between hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting

the answer of c
Last edited by sana.noor on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:01 am
Hi,

Could you please mark which part is underlined in the original sentence?
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:04 pm
sana.noor wrote:Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

the answer of c
A - not very clear what does THOSE refer to (anthropologists OR societies). Drop A/D
B - HAD BEEN ALTERED requires us to have another past event
AMONG is required - drop E

IMO C

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 pm
Hey Patanjali,

Where is this question from? It's majorly icky.

Obviously we have to use "among," because "between" should only be used for two societies, while we know there must be more than two here (because some of them have persisted into this century). That kills D and E. From here, there seem to be a lot of problems. For parallelism sake we would much prefer to have "and that," because it makes it clear that we have a list of two things anthropologists have realized (that there is great diversity...that those persisting).

However, the use of the participle "persisting" modifying "those" is really not good. The reason is a little tough to explain, but the present participle is iffy here, because it implies that the action is ongoing. And I know what you're thinking "well, aren't they continuing to persist?" Not really. They have succeeded already in persisting into this century. That action is done. So it really should be "those that have persisted".

Rap is persisting into the 20th century.
Rap has persisted into the 20th century.

See how ridiculous the first one sounds?

Even more bizarrely, the sentence uses the past perfect tense later, in the non-underlined portion. On the GMAT, 99% of the time when you have a past perfect verb, you need a simple past verb somewhere else in the sentence. We don't have that. The sentence is in the PRESENT TENSE ("realize" and "is"). So that later verb should really be "were altered long before" (the simple past).

I've read that this is from a retired GMAT paper test, but even though (C) is the best of some bad choices, I have to hope a sentence like this wouldn't make the cut these days.

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Legendary Member

by sana.noor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 pm
This question is from V-study book (this book has some old retired gmat questions), I am just practicing now a days and i dont know if this book worth any cent to work on..:(

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:25 pm
Hey Sana Noor,

So I looked it up, and that seems like a pretty cut-rate book. I always try to tell people: for practice questions, stick to the OGs (13th edition, and the 2nd edition Verbal + Quant guides) and the strategy guides from one of the major, reputable companies. That is enough material for ANYONE to do well on the GMAT. If you've been through those books and you're still not scoring well, it isn't because you need more questions, it's because you haven't learned the lessons of the questions you've already got. Instead, go through the books again, and check for some things, such as:

1) Can you explain every wrong answer for every CR and RC question? Does your explanation match the ones in the back?

2) Can you explain every error in every sentence correction question, regardless of whether you need to notice all those errors to get to the answer.

3) If there was another way to do a given quant question, are you equally skilled at solving that other way, even if it isn't necessarily better on that question?

If the answer to all of the above questions is yes, you should be scoring very high on the real GMAT, and should have no need of other books. Hope that helps!

-t
ManhattanGMAT

Legendary Member

by sana.noor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 pm
Thanks Tommy Wallach! i am giving my gmat next month and this is just killing me!! It is really important for me to get 700+ score. I have gone through Manhattan Books, Manhattan Elluminate classes and Kaplan Books. I have done Verbal 2nd edition and i can explain errors. However, it seems i am loosing all my confidence. I havnt gone through 6 Manahattan tests, question banks, a Free complete test from Kaplan, OG 13 and 12. I am thinking to go through these books n tests a week before test. i am not good at reading comprehensive.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:25 pm
Hey Sana,

Unfortunately, this is a bit too general of an issue for me to give any helpful advice to. If you want to take a Manhattan practice test, then I could look at it and give you more specific advice.

-t
ManhattanGMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:55 am
Hey Sana!

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I'm giving my test next month too.

I suggest that you don't keep so much for the last week before the test. Start taking the 6 Manhattan GMAT tests now. You will be able to assess yourself and work on areas that you find difficult.

If you keep the 6 Manhattan GMAT tests + Question Banks + Kaplan test + OG 13 + OG 12 for the week before the test, you will end up overworking yourself at the last minute. Don't risk a burnout.

Legendary Member

by sana.noor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:27 am
shenoydevika!! tell me any good way to improve vocabulary! I know my weak areas so now a days i am focusing on all those areas. once done i will give all these test, definitely not a week before test..:) Is manhattan math advance a good book?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 am
Hey Sana!

My math is weak so I have been referring to the Manhattan Quant guides along with their Foundations of Math. Can't really say anything about Manhattan Advanced as I haven't studied it. You should ask around about that on the Quant forum.

What specific areas are troubling you on Verbal? If its Reading Comprehension, the only thing I know will work is if you read more. Read GMAT-type passages. Try and get your hands on the OG -Verbal review.

Figure out a strategy for RC. For me, skimming through the whole reading works. But I have a friend who just reads the first and last sentence of each paragraph. We use different strategies but arrive at the correct answers. Read up on RC strategies, try out all of them and stick to ONE which suits you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 pm
Hey Sana,

Nobody can give you good advice until you let us know what you're scoring on practice tests. If your quant score is a 35, then there's no point in using the advanced quant book (yet!). If your score is higher, you could start looking at that book. HOWEVER, if your quant is already solid (44-45), and your verbal is really low (28-30), then you should be prioritizing verbal right now and not worrying so much about quant.

As for vocabulary, there's no actual vocab tested on the GMAT. If you mean you regularly read words on CR or RC that you don't know, the only solution to that is to be reading a lot more in English (novels, non-fiction books, magazines) and highlighting and making a running list of all the words you don't know.

Hope that helps!

-t
ManhattanGMAT

Legendary Member

by sana.noor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:10 pm
Hi, Last night i gave my First Manhattan CAT test and i got 37 in Quant..Review shows that i wasnt able to answer questions with difficulty level of 600-700 and 700-800. I just completed Quant, left Integrated reasoning and Verbal sections blank. I total scored 410.