Some help please..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:650

Some help please..

by tisrar02 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 pm
Hello all,

So I just came back from the test center not too long ago. I scored a 550 (Q41,V25) and I don't know what to do. My main goal is 600-650 in order to be competitive for the school that I am applying too. I just do not know how to raise my verbal score after 3 months of prep. My last 4 mock exam scores were as follows:

Grockit: 630 (Q44 V35)
MGMAT- 580 (Q42 V 28)
GMAT PREP 590 (Q42 V30)
GMAT PREP 650 (Q44 V35) --> I did see close to 3 verbal repeats but I took the normal time to complete so I would not bank any extra time.

I have a month left before my application is closed and I need a min of 580 to even be considered with my verbal in the 28-30+ range. Please someone help me with the verbal section. Quant I do not care about at this point. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I just got the Kaplan Premier book from a friend. Any insight if that could potentially help.

Thank you!
Dedication is what leads to success...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:01 pm
tisrar02 wrote:Hello all,

So I just came back from the test center not too long ago. I scored a 550 (Q41,V25) and I don't know what to do. My main goal is 600-650 in order to be competitive for the school that I am applying too. I just do not know how to raise my verbal score after 3 months of prep. My last 4 mock exam scores were as follows:

Grockit: 630 (Q44 V35)
MGMAT- 580 (Q42 V 28)
GMAT PREP 590 (Q42 V30)
GMAT PREP 650 (Q44 V35) --> I did see close to 3 verbal repeats but I took the normal time to complete so I would not bank any extra time.

I have a month left before my application is closed and I need a min of 580 to even be considered with my verbal in the 28-30+ range. Please someone help me with the verbal section. Quant I do not care about at this point. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I just got the Kaplan Premier book from a friend. Any insight if that could potentially help.

Thank you!
Great questions -- sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted them to. A few initial reactions:

1. Even though it's not all apples-to-apples comparisons, you've scored in a wide range for verbal on your practice tests. What do your diagnostics suggest? https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/ Is it just verbal in general? Specific to SC/CR/RC?

2. You need to allow yourself to take a deep breath -- and come up with a plan. I like these links (even though they are just for 14 days, but many of the points are the same.)
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ew-part-2/

3. You need to ask yourself what you think went wrong -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ent-wrong/
-- and how you are going to get a plan in place to fix it.. and quick!

Let me know if you think this makes sense.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:650

by tisrar02 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm
Thank you very much for the insight Brian. Ironically I was researching some of Ron's previous posts about the verbal section in general. I need to go back and really figure out why those answers I answered were correct and why the answers I answered incorrectly were incorrect.

I feel that Verbal in general is bad for me. On my second last mock on GMAT PREP, I got 8/13-RC, 6/11- CR and 11/17 SC, these scores leading to a V30 score.

I guess I was taking a very mechanical approach to the CR/RC when I should really be using my intuition.

I will definitely look into the links you have provided for me.

Thanks
Dedication is what leads to success...