700+ Tax Deduction

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

700+ Tax Deduction

by challenger63 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:04 am
A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.

(A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns

(B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporation's amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns

(C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns

(D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deducts on their tax returns

(E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.

OA will be later

Followed by:3 members

by aman88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:56 am
IMO D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:35 pm
Let's play our favorite game! Answer choices one-by one:

A 1999 tax bill changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns.

(A) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations are allowed to deduct on their tax returns

Verb tense: "changed" and then "are." There's a rule...never change verb tenses unless you must. The present is definitely not required, or even logical, late in this sentence. A rule in the past can't have changed what people paid back AT THAT TIME.

(B) changed wealthy taxpayers' and large corporation's amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns

Verb tense: "have been allowed" is present perfect, which still doesn't make sense. It's not true anymore!

(C) is changing wealthy taxpayers' and large corporations' amounts that they have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns

Verb tense: "is changing" makes no sense in 1999.

(D) changed what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations had been allowed to deducts on their tax returns

Perfect. The past perfect correctly implies that the amount they were allowed to deduct CHANGED at the moment of the rule-change..

(E) changes what many wealthy taxpayers and large corporations have been allowed to deduct on their tax returns.

Verb tense: present tense "changes" makes no sense in 1999.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by challenger63 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:51 pm
Tommy Wallach wrote:Let's play our favorite game! Answer choices one-by one:

Verb tense: "changed" and then "are." There's a rule...never change verb tenses unless you must. The present is definitely not required, or even logical, late in this sentence. A rule in the past can't have changed what people paid back AT THAT TIME.

Perfect. The past perfect correctly implies that the amount they were allowed to deduct CHANGED at the moment of the rule-change..

-t
Tommy, OA is A. It implies that it's still allows to deduct. Tax bill only changes but not stops what they allowed to stop.

According to OA, D is wrong because it is retroactive.

Source: VeritasPrep
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

by challenger63 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:51 pm
Tommy Wallach wrote:Let's play our favorite game! Answer choices one-by one:

-t
Tommy, OA is A. It implies that it's still allowed to deduct. Tax bill only changes but not stops what they allowed to stop.

According to OA, D is wrong because it is retroactive.

Source: VeritasPrep
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:58 pm
Oy! Sorry friends. Classic misread. I gotta slow down on these posts. You're absolutely right! You can't change what you had been allowed; it makes no sense!

Sigh. Apologies. : )

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!