Scientists 2000 BF19

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Scientists 2000 BF19

by amysky_0205 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm
Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but probably not cause planetwide destruction.

A. and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but
B. and, if it would strike Earth, part of the planet could experience a tremendous amount of damage but it would
C. and that, if it were to strike Earth, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would
D. and that, if Earth is struck by it, can do part of the planet tremendous damage, but it would
E. and that, if it strikes Earth, it could experience a tremendous amount of damage but

OA: C

can someone explain this one?

I chose E instead of C.
and i know that it needs a THAT after and so that it'll be parallel.

thank u!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:30 pm
amysky_0205 wrote:Scientists have identified an asteroid, 2000 BF19, that is about half a mile wide and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but probably not cause planetwide destruction.

A. and, if it strikes Earth, it can do tremendous damage to part of the planet but
B. and, if it would strike Earth, part of the planet could experience a tremendous amount of damage but it would
C. and that, if it were to strike Earth, could do tremendous damage to part of the planet but would
D. and that, if Earth is struck by it, can do part of the planet tremendous damage, but it would
E. and that, if it strikes Earth, it could experience a tremendous amount of damage but

OA: C

can someone explain this one?

I chose E instead of C.
and i know that it needs a THAT after and so that it'll be parallel.

thank u!!!
Good question -- I love this one! We actually had a great discussion on one of our own company boards a while back (https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ast ... 14584.html) -- take a look for some other things that people explored as they worked through this one.

Specific to your questions, where you run into some issues with (e) is really all about the pronoun "it". Pronouns need to always be super clear -- and (e) is not. "If it strikes Earth, it could..." ---> what is that last 'it' referring to? In the original sentence, the second 'it' refers to Earth, but in (e) the verb has changed to 'experience' and I'm now not sure if it's as clear what the second 'it' refers to.

Thoughts?

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mrigank_bhushan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 pm
Hi,

I presume this a complex statement which has subordinate clauses.

You are already aware of "that" for parallelism, so option Aand B can be eliminated.

D flips around with tenses changing from Past Tense and Past Perfect ( Read: "struck by it" / "but it would") , which makes it a wordy and incorrect option, hence eliminated.

E cannot be correct for 2 reasons.
i) the part which says "it could experience a trmendous...", we dont know what 'it' is relating to(as in Earth or the Asteroid) which makes the sentence Ambiguous. hence eliminated
ii)it also adds a new adjective "amount" which may/maynot relate to "a part of" (the Earth) the correct sense of the statement. hence eliminated

Bottomline: C is not entirely the correct option but the best in the available ones.

thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:31 pm
mrigank_bhushan wrote:Hi,

I presume this a complex statement which has subordinate clauses.

You are already aware of "that" for parallelism, so option Aand B can be eliminated.

D flips around with tenses changing from Past Tense and Past Perfect ( Read: "struck by it" / "but it would") , which makes it a wordy and incorrect option, hence eliminated.

E cannot be correct for 2 reasons.
i) the part which says "it could experience a trmendous...", we dont know what 'it' is relating to(as in Earth or the Asteroid) which makes the sentence Ambiguous. hence eliminated
ii)it also adds a new adjective "amount" which may/maynot relate to "a part of" (the Earth) the correct sense of the statement. hence eliminated

Bottomline: C is not entirely the correct option but the best in the available ones.

thanks
Just to bang home a point here a bit... I disagree with your bottomline slightly. C is, in fact, 'correct.' We may not love it, and we may be able to create other 'better' answers, but there is nothing in fact 'wrong' with 'c.' A slight distinction, but an important one -- we wouldn't want to begin falling into the trap of believing that we are selecting answers that aren't correct.

Just thought that was worth $0.02 there.

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)