Landscaping v.s. water bills

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Landscaping v.s. water bills

by amysky_0205 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm
Brochure: Help conserve our city's water supply. By converting the landscaping in your yard to a water-conserving landscape, you can greatly reduce your outdoor water use. A water-conserving landscape is natural and attractive, and it also saves you money.
Criticism: For most people with yards, the savings from converting to a water-conserving landscape cannot justify the expense of new landscaping, since typically the conversion would save less than twenty dollars on a homeowner's yearly water bills.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best basis for a rebuttal of the criticism?

A. Even homeowners whose yards do not have water-conserving landscapes can conserve water by installing water-saving devices in their homes.
B. A conventional landscape generally requires a much greater expenditure on fertilizer and herbicide than does a water-conserving landscape.
C. A significant proportion of the residents of the city live in buildings that do not have yards.
D. It costs no more to put in water-conserving landscaping than it does to put in conventional landscaping.
E. Some homeowners use more water to maintain their yards than they use for all other purposes combined.

OA: B

can someone explain this one?
I chose D instead of B.

thank u!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm
The big driver as to why "B" provides the best rebuttal is that the 'criticism' assumes that the only place where one can incur cost savings post landscape redesign is via the monthly water bill. BUT..... what if there were more cost savings beyond the water bill? Specifically, that you would now spend less on fertilizer and herbicide? Is that enough to change the calculus?

Personal example -- my wife used to drive a Acura MDX that got 16 mpg and required premium (93) gas. When she got a new car (Honda Odyssey -- 3 kids, what are you going to do except get a minivan), we were excited b/c it got better gas mileage (22mpg.) What we didn't realize until after we bought the car is that it also takes regular gas (87). So, our 'assumption' about gas savings didn't factor in all relevant elements, just as the problem above does not.

Take a look at this article -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/CR-assumption.cfm -- good way to think about identifying and tackling CR assumptions.

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 pm
Also, the argument is talking about CONVERTING to the water conversion landscape. So we know that a traditional landscape is already in place. Option D talks about the expenses of putting in a new water-conversion landscape versus putting in a new traditional landscape. We need to choose an option which says that expenses of CONVERTING the landscape are much less compared to the benefits.

Right?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm
shenoydevika wrote:Also, the argument is talking about CONVERTING to the water conversion landscape. So we know that a traditional landscape is already in place. Option D talks about the expenses of putting in a new water-conversion landscape versus putting in a new traditional landscape. We need to choose an option which says that expenses of CONVERTING the landscape are much less compared to the benefits.

Right?
I think you are generally correct here -- I agree that we 'know' that a traditional landscape is already in place. So, the comparison of the cost of installing a traditional landscape to that of installing a water-conversion landscape is not entirely relevant.

Where I disagree with you slightly is in the wording you use to describe what we 'need to choose.' The criticism in the passage essentially implies that the ongoing cost savings do not overcome the original cost of conversion. We're looking for an answer choice that would cause us to reconsider/reevaluate that statement b/c of new data, new thinking, etc. Choice "B" clearly does that for us here.

Does that make sense?

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 pm
Yes, that makes sense. :)