pre-requisites recommended before MBA???

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

pre-requisites recommended before MBA???

by yumi2012 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:19 am
I am a non-biz major in undergrad and try to be best prepared before doing my MBA.I saw a post about one's embarassment when forced to take a course along with 2 pre-requisites at the same time. The writer said he eventually dropped due to its heavy load of work.

To minimize this kind of trap beforehand, what pre-requisite classes would you recommend to an MBA candidate without biz background? Some recommended business-applied mathematics coursework while others did accounting coursework. Do I take things like "Intro to accounting" or "Statistics 101"? What specific pre-requisite do you strongly recommend?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:51 pm
Looking at introductory material in accounting, finance and statistics is probably a good idea. This is where most students struggle.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

by bpolley00 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm
@Jim - I have had all of those, in fact advanced all of those, and I am struggling with the GMAT. Go figure.
Anyways Yumi, like Jim said, you should know basic Accounting, Finance, and Statistics. In addition to what Jim said, I would also recommend learning some Basic Economics. I would personally recommend Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell as it is really a comprehensive, fluid, easy to understand Economics book for the new Business student. I would also recommend Greg Mankiw's Principles of Macro and Microeconomics. Finally, if you haven't had Business Calculus I would strongly recommend picking up a Calculus book, as it is hard to get into Intermediate Econ or Finance if you do not understand how to do derivatives.

-BP

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

by bpolley00 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 pm
Yumi,

Also, I was just thinking, if you wanted my book list from last year I would be more than happy to send it your way. Although, be prepared for some heavy lifting if you haven't had any business classes. Let me know if that would be helpful. If you dont want to start reading yet, atleast it would give you a general idea of the types of books that business school usually recommends.

Thanks!

-BP