Strengthen---Vaccines

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Strengthen---Vaccines

by amysky_0205 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm
Until now, only injectable vaccines against influenza have been available. They have been used primarily by older adults, who are at risk for complications from influenza. A new vaccine administered in a nasal spray has proven effective in preventing influenza in children. Since children are significantly more likely than adults to contract and spread influenza, making the new vaccine widely available for children will greatly reduce the spread of influenza across the population.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. If a person receives both the injectable and the nasal-spray vaccine, the two vaccines do not interfere with each other.
B. The new vaccine uses the same mechanism to ward off influenza as injectable vaccines do.
C. Government subsidies have kept the injectable vaccine affordable for all older adults.
D. Of the older adults who contract influenza, relatively few contract it from children with influenza.
E. Many parents would be more inclined to have their children vaccinated against influenza if the vaccination did not require an injection.

OA: E

can someone explain this?
I chose D instead of E... can't figure out why.

thank u !

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 pm
amysky_0205 wrote:Until now, only injectable vaccines against influenza have been available. They have been used primarily by older adults, who are at risk for complications from influenza. A new vaccine administered in a nasal spray has proven effective in preventing influenza in children. Since children are significantly more likely than adults to contract and spread influenza, making the new vaccine widely available for children will greatly reduce the spread of influenza across the population.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. If a person receives both the injectable and the nasal-spray vaccine, the two vaccines do not interfere with each other.
B. The new vaccine uses the same mechanism to ward off influenza as injectable vaccines do.
C. Government subsidies have kept the injectable vaccine affordable for all older adults.
D. Of the older adults who contract influenza, relatively few contract it from children with influenza.
E. Many parents would be more inclined to have their children vaccinated against influenza if the vaccination did not require an injection.

OA: E

can someone explain this?
I chose D instead of E... can't figure out why.

thank u !
This question is focused on building a story/hope/implication that more children will become vaccinated b/c of this newly available nasal spray. Reading the passage, you might wonder "Hmm.. I wonder if the nasal spray is something that kids/parents will be interested in? Seems like it works just as well as an injection." Then you are reading the answer choices, and BOOM!!!!!!, look at E. Parents love the idea of a non-injection flu vaccine!! The story/hope has been strengthened.

Why not D? A bit too limited -- 'older adults'. Also, so what? What if children dramatically infect young-middle aged adults? Does D strengthen our argument/assertion in any way whatsoever?

I don't think so.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)