Major Tobacco company

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Major Tobacco company

by amysky_0205 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 pm
In an effort to reduce the number of fires started by cigarettes, a major tobacco company is test-marketing a cigarette in which thin layers of extra paper are used to decrease the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, thereby slowing the rate at which it burns and lowering the heat it generates.

A. in which thin layers of extra paper are used to decrease the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, thereby slowing
B. in which they use thin layers of extra paper in decreasing the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, which slows
C. that uses thin layers of extra paper to decrease the amount of oxygen when it enters the cigarette, thereby slowing
D. for which thin layers of extra paper are used to decrease the amount of oxygen that enters the cigarette, and thereby slowing
E. using thin layers of extra paper in decreasing the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, which slows

OA: A

In B, we don't know what "they" refers to.
In D, the use of "for which" is wrong.

I would like to know what's wrong with C and E

plz explain and if there's more errors in B and D, add on them though!

thank u so much!

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 am
amysky_0205 wrote:In an effort to reduce the number of fires started by cigarettes, a major tobacco company is test-marketing a cigarette in which thin layers of extra paper are used to decrease the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, thereby slowing the rate at which it burns and lowering the heat it generates.

A. in which thin layers of extra paper are used to decrease the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, thereby slowing
B. in which they use thin layers of extra paper in decreasing the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, which slows
C. that uses thin layers of extra paper to decrease the amount of oxygen when it enters the cigarette, thereby slowing
D. for which thin layers of extra paper are used to decrease the amount of oxygen that enters the cigarette, and thereby slowing
E. using thin layers of extra paper in decreasing the amount of oxygen entering the cigarette, which slows

OA: A

In B, we don't know what "they" refers to.
In D, the use of "for which" is wrong.

I would like to know what's wrong with C and E

plz explain and if there's more errors in B and D, add on them though!

thank u so much!
B - WHICH SLOWS refer to immediate preceding noun CIGARETTE (wrong). Intent is to modify entire clause; THEY appears to COMPANY (but then subject verb mismatch);
C- USES refers to CIGARETTE. Problem is the usage of WHEN IT ENTERS suggests that entire phenomenon of decrasing amounount of oxygen happens only when it enters the CIGARETTE. Thts not correct. The use of IT wrong - could refer to EXTRA PAPER
D- ENTERS and SLOWING not parallel
E- WHICH SLOWS refer to immediate preceding noun CIGARETTE (wrong).

IMO A

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 am
Many of the errors have been correctly identified here, but I wanted to expand upon a few:

B. THEY does not agree with the antecedent COMPANY;
WHICH SLOWS is referring to "cigarette," which doesn't make sense
USE... IN DECREASING doesn't make sense here. "In" implies "in the process of." For example, we could say "something is used in manufacturing a product." Here, the paper is not used in the process of decreasing, but used in order to decrease.

C. THAT USES refers to cigarette. It doesn't make sense to use the active voice here, because cigarettes can't actively use anything. Furthermore, TO DECREASE implies intention - in order to decrease. Cigarettes certainly don't have intention.
The larger problem here is with the pronoun IT. From a meaning standpoint, we would want "it" to refer to "oxygen," although structurally the referent is ambiguous = most likely "it" refers to "cigarette," which wouldn't make sense. Pronoun ambiguity is a tricky issue on the GMAT (see posts linked below), but one thing is clear - we can't switch referents for a given pronoun. In "the heat it generates" in the non-underlined portion, it's clear that "it" refers to "cigarette." If that's the case, it certainly can't refer to "oxygen" elsewhere in the sentence.

D. Parallelism issue with SLOWING, as @patanjali pointed out
FOR WHICH shifts the meaning of the modifier. Here, it's saying that "layers of extra paper are used for the cigarette." Again, this implies intention - "for the cigarette's sake," or perhaps "for the purposes of the cigarette." We need to make clear that the paper is being used in the cigarette.

E. @patanjali is right, WHICH SLOWS incorrectly modifies "cigarette."
IN DECREASING is also wrong... see B.

Here are a few posts about switching references with pronouns, and pronoun ambiguity:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/over-the-pas ... tml#554150
https://www.beatthegmat.com/bear-markets ... tml#549435
https://www.beatthegmat.com/declaration- ... tml#539397
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:02 pm
ceilidh.erickson wrote:USE... IN DECREASING doesn't make sense here. "In" implies "in the process of." For example, we could say "something is used in manufacturing a product." Here, the paper is not used in the process of decreasing, but used in order to decrease.
Hi Ceilidh,

Thanks for the detail explanation. I could not quite understand why IN DECREASING is wrong. I saw another problem in which IN PAYING is correct.
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying doctors and hospitals.
Could you pls explain the difference between IN DECREASING and TO DECREASE in bit more detail.

Secondly, in (C) I thought the usage of WHEN IT ENTERS wrong as it appears that the entire phenomenon of decreasing amount of oxygen happens only when it enters the CIGARETTE. Is this a correct interpretation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:07 am
patanjali.purpose wrote:
ceilidh.erickson wrote:USE... IN DECREASING doesn't make sense here. "In" implies "in the process of." For example, we could say "something is used in manufacturing a product." Here, the paper is not used in the process of decreasing, but used in order to decrease.
Hi Ceilidh,

Thanks for the detail explanation. I could not quite understand why IN DECREASING is wrong. I saw another problem in which IN PAYING is correct.
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying doctors and hospitals.
Could you pls explain the difference between IN DECREASING and TO DECREASE in bit more detail.

Secondly, in (C) I thought the usage of WHEN IT ENTERS wrong as it appears that the entire phenomenon of decreasing amount of oxygen happens only when it enters the CIGARETTE. Is this a correct interpretation.
Like many areas on the GMAT, it's never quite as simple as just looking at one particular word. In this case, you also need to consider the verb "use" and the role of the word/words that come after it. When are you referring to a phrase such as "use OBJECT X in EVENT y", it's okay to stick with in (e.g. they use a round ball in baseball." However, when your "y" is another action (in this case decrease) it is more appropriate to return to the infinitive form (to decrease).

Hope that helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 am
brianlange77 wrote:
patanjali.purpose wrote:
Hi Ceilidh,

Like many areas on the GMAT, it's never quite as simple as just looking at one particular word. In this case, you also need to consider the verb "use" and the role of the word/words that come after it. When are you referring to a phrase such as "use OBJECT X in EVENT y", it's okay to stick with in (e.g. they use a round ball in baseball." However, when your "y" is another action (in this case decrease) it is more appropriate to return to the infinitive form (to decrease).

Hope that helps.

-Brian
Some more examples in which IN VERBING is used. Is there a way to decide whether IN VERBING is appropriate?

1) The J.C.Penney chain of retail stores broke with its conservative cash-and-carry policy in deciding during its reorganization in 1958 to sell on credit. CORRECT
2) He said he preferred a more neutral site for the event and wanted to be involved in deciding who else would be invited. CORRECT

In all the above example I understand that we used IN to show IN THE PROCESS OF, but not able to understand how IN THE PROCESS OF and IN ORDER TO are different.

Does IN ORDER TO suggests PURPOSE?

Can you explain the use with some more examples pls.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 pm
patanjali.purpose wrote: Some more examples in which IN VERBING is used. Is there a way to decide whether IN VERBING is appropriate?

1) The J.C.Penney chain of retail stores broke with its conservative cash-and-carry policy in deciding during its reorganization in 1958 to sell on credit. CORRECT
2) He said he preferred a more neutral site for the event and wanted to be involved in deciding who else would be invited. CORRECT

In all the above example I understand that we used IN to show IN THE PROCESS OF, but not able to understand how IN THE PROCESS OF and IN ORDER TO are different.

I think this is a good question, but I now think we've started to stretch the # of topics we're covering in one post. But, to put a bow on it here -- can I ask you to clip in the full questions for the two examples you reference -- Penney's and neutral site?

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:45 am
brianlange77 wrote:
patanjali.purpose wrote: Some more examples in which IN VERBING is used. Is there a way to decide whether IN VERBING is appropriate?

I think this is a good question, but I now think we've started to stretch the # of topics we're covering in one post. But, to put a bow on it here -- can I ask you to clip in the full questions for the two examples you reference -- Penney's and neutral site?

Thanks.

-Brian
Sure Brain, but the 2nd sentence I picked up from NYTIMES to understand the usage.

The J.C.Penney chain of retail stores broke with its conservative cash-and-carry policy during its 1958 reorganization for deciding to sell on credit.
A) during its 1958 reorganization for deciding to sell
B) for the decision at its 1958 reorganization to sell
C) when it was reorganized in 1958 for its decision to sell
D) in deciding during its reorganization in 1958 to sell
E) by deciding at its reorganization in 1958 on the selling of
not sure about the source (OA-[spoiler]D)[/spoiler])

I just saw another question (source-mastergmat)

Transplanting is one of the methods that is commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in a variety of spatial configurations.

A - is commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in
B - is commonly used for rice seeding in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in
C - are commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery for
D - are commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in
E - are commonly used for the seeding of rice in fields that are irrigated, and it is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in

Here for a moment I was confused between C/D as they differ only in FOR/IN (OA-[spoiler]D)[/spoiler].

It will be great if you could help me understand the concept.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:21 pm
P.P:

Help me understand -- what is your specific question on each of those examples? Not sure that the "verb+ing" is at the core of the decision making process here.

Thoughts?

-Brian