Blowing my Mind!!!! Need Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Blowing my Mind!!!! Need Help

by sfufootba11 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 am
So I am planning on taking the GMAT Feb 16. I have been studying for about a month... At this point it is just blowing my mind. I don't know if I am just overstudying, not focused, stressed out or what.

I got a 720 on the math section of the SAT in high school... I didn't take any real math classes in college so I forgot a TON of shit.. I keep struggling on Number properties and the Data Sufficiency and just can't wrap my mind around it.

And the fact that I have been struggling with it and haven't been able to nail down the actual processes of solving these is just compounding my issues... How hard are the questions on the Kaplan CATs vs the GMATPrep ones vs the Actual GMAT?

I am going to sit here and play video games for the next 4-5 hours to let my brain relax and reset, then I will try to take a full CAT and will come back with the results and what it says my deficiencies are, though based on practice to this point it is number properties and Data Sufficiency..

I have the Manhattan Guides, Kaplan Book, and all 3 Official Guides

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm
Practice makes perfect in videos games and on the GMAT. The more time you spend with these two difficult problem types, the more they will make sense.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

by bpolley00 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:06 am
Something to consider:

The Gmat isn't like any other test you have taken. If I were you, I would spend a considerable amount of time looking at experts posts on these forums for general advice on how to prepare for your last month of studying. If you were like me and could pick up a book the night before in college and cram for an entire test in a day, you are going to have issues applying that approach to this test as I will tell you it is probably impossible. I for one, have taken Ron's advice and have taken a complete week off of studying and I can tell you it is very beneficial. In regarding content, I would suggest looking over the Manhattan GMAT books and going over WHY you missed the questions that you did. For me, the hardest part about this test is it is not merely a memorization of facts, but rather an understanding of multiple rules and being able to apply them to questions as you go along. I would also take the time to sit down and watch all the THursday with Ron Videos. Even if you only get a few take aways each video they are very worth your time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:51 pm
sfufootba11 wrote:So I am planning on taking the GMAT Feb 16. I have been studying for about a month... At this point it is just blowing my mind. I don't know if I am just overstudying, not focused, stressed out or what.
SFU: I'm going to assume 2/16 is a hard date and that there's no flexibility there. Given that, you need to come up with a plan super-quick, and bluntly, not let yourself get freaked out by the exam.

A few thoughts:

1. Take a look at these two links -- helpful in setting up a plan for the last '14 days', which I recognize you have about 30, but based on your apparent stress level, I want you to feel like you are in the home stretch.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ew-part-2/

2. Have you taken any practice exams? Use that data -- it will help guide your study plan on where to focus. (Read this for more examples -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/)

Ping me for more thoughts/questions.

Best!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 pm
bpolley00 wrote:Something to consider:
The Gmat isn't like any other test you have taken. If I were you, I would spend a considerable amount of time looking at experts posts on these forums for general advice on how to prepare for your last month of studying. If you were like me and could pick up a book the night before in college and cram for an entire test in a day, you are going to have issues applying that approach to this test as I will tell you it is probably impossible. I for one, have taken Ron's advice and have taken a complete week off of studying and I can tell you it is very beneficial. In regarding content, I would suggest looking over the Manhattan GMAT books and going over WHY you missed the questions that you did. For me, the hardest part about this test is it is not merely a memorization of facts, but rather an understanding of multiple rules and being able to apply them to questions as you go along. I would also take the time to sit down and watch all the THursday with Ron Videos. Even if you only get a few take aways each video they are very worth your time.
I'm sure Ron appreciates the shoutouts!!

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by HerrGrau » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 am
Hi,

GMAT studying can be very frustrating especially when you're not getting the results that you want on your practice tests. The Manhattan GMAT books are great resources and have all the information that you need to get a great Quant score. There is a difference though between having the information and being able to apply that information. Here is where methodical practice is essential. It is not enough just to put the time in, you have to be organized about HOW you study.

The biggest thing is reviewing all of your practice (right and wrong) and analyzing your approach to each question. Whenever you are unsure of how to solve something or whether you have solved something in the most efficient way go to the forums and see how other people have solved the question. After you have analyzed someone elses solution put pen to paper and re-solve the question yourself to instill the knowledge.

Keep track of the questions that you have gotten wrong and periodically re-visit/re-solve. You can take questions out of the error log when you feel 100% on them.

I hope this helps!

A.

PS: I would steer clear of Kaplan materials/tests
"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and GMAT Tutoring: www.AtlanticGMAT.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 am
Any updates? How did it go?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sfufootba11 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 pm
Sorry for the long delayed reply... I just posted another thread. I didn't have my notifications turned on from this thread.. I appreciate everyone's replies and I ended up doing a lot of the things mentioned.

I really drilled the weak areas and got to a point where I was confident. I ended up blowing it today in the real thing, but not by much. I got a 690 2 days ago on my last GMAT Prep test and got a 660 today so I would consider it to be relatively close, though still not what I was hoping. I will attribute it to not being "solid" on the principles found in the 700 level questions. I was still hit or miss.

Here is the link to what I just posted..
https://www.beatthegmat.com/little-extra ... tml#581496

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:17 pm
sfufootba11 wrote:Sorry for the long delayed reply... I just posted another thread. I didn't have my notifications turned on from this thread.. I appreciate everyone's replies and I ended up doing a lot of the things mentioned.

I really drilled the weak areas and got to a point where I was confident. I ended up blowing it today in the real thing, but not by much. I got a 690 2 days ago on my last GMAT Prep test and got a 660 today so I would consider it to be relatively close, though still not what I was hoping. I will attribute it to not being "solid" on the principles found in the 700 level questions. I was still hit or miss.

Here is the link to what I just posted..
https://www.beatthegmat.com/little-extra ... tml#581496
SFU -- If you're thinking about giving it another go, I'd encourage you to take a look at this link that gives some thoughtful tips about how to make that leap into the 700+ range. In a nutshell, it's about 'mastery' of the content. To be 700+, you should be able to teach GMAT classes to all levels of students -- do you feel like you are close to being there?

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

Let me know your thoughts.

-Brian