Help with Quant!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help with Quant!

by Waly11218 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 pm
I have been studying for gmat on and off for quite some time now, but made a new years resolution to get it done as soon as possible.

Problem is - every time I do quant questions, I fly by the easy and medium level questions within seconds, however, as soon as I get to hard level questions, I have so much difficulty. What is the best way for me to prepare for the hard quant questions?

Would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks guys!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 pm
Try MGMAT Advanced Quant/GMAT Club Tests.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 am
To prepare for math, I suggest a systematic (even methodical) approach, in which you take the time to master each topic/concept (e.g., percents, ratios, etc).

So, for each topic/concept, you should:
1) Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)
2) Learn GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic
3) Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.
4) Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it
Then, and only then, move on to the next topic.

You should also use an Error Log (aka Improvement Chart) while completing questions from the Official Guide (OG). You can find a free downloadable Improvement Chart here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log. This will help you identify and strengthen your weak areas.

Finally, I suggest that you spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site. Here you will find a variety of approaches for every question, and see the steps and thought processes they use when tackling difficult math problems.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Waly11218 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:36 pm
Thanks Brent!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm
Waly11218:

I like a lot of what Brent has to say below. First off, you need to allow yourself to find out which particular areas are giving you the most difficulty. I find it quite hard to believe that you are proficient on every content area through the 600s and then just fall off the cliff across every level when you get to the 700s.

So -- STEP 1 -- Allow yourself the chance to focus.

STEP 2 -- I'd go back (you may do this as a part of STEP 1) and review problems you've done before... both those you get write and those you get wrong. Beyond right/wrong, do you understand WHY you got it right/wrong?

I love my traffic light analogy here -- your goal is to get as many content areas out of red/yellow status into yellow/green status. Targeted study rather than broad study will help with this.

Reach out w/ more questions.

Thanks.

Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)