8 attempts later....I am still trying to beat the GMAT.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hey folks,
I took the GMAT for the 8th time today, and ended up scoring a 600 only. My previous scores ranged from 580-630. I have spent 12 months studying for the exam, but seems like God is not wiling to make me successful. On the real exam, my quant hovered around 44-46 and my verbal never passed 33. I have taken about 25 mocks and never scored lower than a 650. For the past couple months, I scored 760(MGMAT), 750 (PR) and a 690 (Kaplan). My GMATPrep scores on 1st attempts were 690 and 730. I seriously think that the mocks don't represent the real exam. The verbal is so different.

I am a non-native speaker, who grew up in US. I have read MGMAT SC 6 times and Powerscore bible 4 times. I have also solved pretty much every single verbal question on BTG and my accuracy is usually around 85%. Oh, and I have also done OG, GMATPrep Pack1 and GMATPrep paper tests. All in vain. The worst part is I tutored a friend for 2 months, and he scored a 710.

One thing I would add is that I was diagnosed with ADHD in college and that made has my life miserable. I always lose my focus during the verbal part, but, for some reasons, it only happens on the real exam.

I am applying to Top20 schools with a 630, but really want to take the exam one more time. Does any one know if GMAC will let me take a 6th exam during a 180 day period?

Regards.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:650

by tisrar02 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm
I would recommend E-GMAT. Look at the reviews. Seems pretty legit. Its verbal lessons made for non-native speakers.

Best of luck!
Dedication is what leads to success...

by AbiNichole » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm
I'm sorry to hear your struggle. I hope an expert offers you some advice.

by fuquahopeful » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:14 pm
I forgot to mention, I have taken E-GMAT SC class as well. The issue is I know all the SC rules on my finger tips, but still can't seem to do well on the exam. Funny thing is my highest verbal score was when I took the GMAT exam without opening the books. I guess I should rely more on my intuition than on my knowledge.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Val911 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:42 pm
tisrar02 wrote:I would recommend E-GMAT. Look at the reviews. Seems pretty legit. Its verbal lessons made for non-native speakers.

Best of luck!
I was thinking of taking it too! Did you try e-GMAT yourself? What were your results/improvement? DO you know anyone else who tried it?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Val911 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 pm
fuquahopeful wrote:I forgot to mention, I have taken E-GMAT SC class as well. The issue is I know all the SC rules on my finger tips, but still can't seem to do well on the exam. Funny thing is my highest verbal score was when I took the GMAT exam without opening the books. I guess I should rely more on my intuition than on my knowledge.
Did you sign up for the whole course or only took one class?? What do you typically score on verbal in your practice tests? How did you find the actual exam different? Have you tried doing the practice tests with together with the integrated reasoning and essay sections to work on your stamina?

GMAT Score:700

by gatortomba » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:59 pm
really admire the dedication. best of luck!

by fuquahopeful » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm
Val911 wrote:
fuquahopeful wrote:I forgot to mention, I have taken E-GMAT SC class as well. The issue is I know all the SC rules on my finger tips, but still can't seem to do well on the exam. Funny thing is my highest verbal score was when I took the GMAT exam without opening the books. I guess I should rely more on my intuition than on my knowledge.
Did you sign up for the whole course or only took one class?? What do you typically score on verbal in your practice tests? How did you find the actual exam different? Have you tried doing the practice tests with together with the integrated reasoning and essay sections to work on your stamina?
No, I did the whole SC course (all modules). My practice scores in verbal are usually around 38/39 in PR, GMATPrep & GMATCLUB and 44/45 in MGMAT.

I find the RC & SC very confusing on the real thing. For the most part, I am not super confident in my answers. I don't think its because of stamina, but I do feel that I lose my focus in verbal. I feel like there is an external force which is controlling my mind and don't let comprehend the written verbal material. For Example: I never have to read SC/CR questions more than once on mocks, but on the real thing, I read them at least 2/3 times.

I personally think it is because of ADHD. My doctor recommended me meds, but I decided not to take them. Sometimes I feel that I should get on meds for a month and nail the GMAT.

It sucks because my overall profile is very strong, but this blemish is holding me back. Well, I guess I will keep trying until I hit 680+. I read a story about a girl who took GMAT 13 times before she got into Wharton and that's keeping me motivated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 am
fuquahopeful wrote: I am applying to Top20 schools with a 630, but really want to take the exam one more time. Does any one know if GMAC will let me take a 6th exam during a 180 day period?
Says here you can only take it 5 times in a 12-month period.

https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/answers-to- ... px#policy3

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:36 am
Yep, you have to wait to take it again...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review