GMAT or GRE - which is easier to master?

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies

Which test is easier to study/score highest on: GRE or GMAT?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:27 am

GRE
50%
GMAT
50%

Total votes: 4

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I am going to spend my summer studying (2-3 months)for either the GMAT or the GRE because I am applying to PhD programs in business in winter.

I am currently in my last MBA semester.

When I took my GMAT's, I barely studied for a few weeks, and did average. Got the job done so to speak . . .

YEARS ago I took the GRE, over 5 years ago, again not really studying for 3 weeks, and did moderate.

Quant is my strong point, Writing is always a perfect/high score, and verbal is usually where I dip.

People on other forums have been saying that I should just do the GMAT because it will prove myself. Each admissions office has said that both exams are equal in their eyes, openly accept either exam, and to just go with whichever I will be the most comfortable/strongest with.

I could use some opinions on taking the GMAT or GRE again. In the time I will have to study (along with studying I will have my MBA capstone course once a week), I am not sure what test is easier to master since I am taking it seriously this time.

I get mixed reviews . . . any advice?
:?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by frantastic » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm
If quant is your strong point, I would do the GMAT. Verbal is more of a challenge on the GRE because of all the vocab.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:06 pm
frantastic wrote:If quant is your strong point, I would do the GMAT. Verbal is more of a challenge on the GRE because of all the vocab.
& I have exactly opposite perception :lol:

I'd say vocab makes verbal part of GRE easier than GMAT.

It depends on how YOU see it!
GMAT is more of grammar & picking consice n sentences without compromising the meaning of it.
while
GRE has a word-list of ~3500 word you got to know, their roots, origin ALL meaning and subtle differences in their respective synonyms.

For Quant section:
I believe both are of same level but people say GMAT's quant is more tough than GRE's

PS:
Sorry for confusing you still, but I honestly believe it depends on your taste! You already are familiar with both the tests and their structure. So you should know better.

I think since you are pursuing MBA you should be more comfortable ( & would perform better) at GMAT!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by chidcguy » Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 pm
Thats correct. It depends on person and what their strengths are. I have been toying with the idea of taking GRE as well as a back up.

Does Sloan/Stanford accept GRE from any one? or from countries only where GMAT is NOT administered. If another 10 schools in the top 20 start accepting GRE, it will be a game changer and I will go for GRE as the concepts tested on the GRE are easier compared to GMAT

Does any one have the list of schools that accept GRE now other than the two above?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by greorgmat » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
aim-wsc wrote:
frantastic wrote:If quant is your strong point, I would do the GMAT. Verbal is more of a challenge on the GRE because of all the vocab.
& I have exactly opposite perception :lol:

I'd say vocab makes verbal part of GRE easier than GMAT.

It depends on how YOU see it!
GMAT is more of grammar & picking consice n sentences without compromising the meaning of it.
while
GRE has a word-list of ~3500 word you got to know, their roots, origin ALL meaning and subtle differences in their respective synonyms.

For Quant section:
I believe both are of same level but people say GMAT's quant is more tough than GRE's

PS:
Sorry for confusing you still, but I honestly believe it depends on your taste! You already are familiar with both the tests and their structure. So you should know better.

I think since you are pursuing MBA you should be more comfortable ( & would perform better) at GMAT!
You are stupid

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GRE or GMAT

by MAHWISH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:50 pm
I am in same confusion. I feel myself good at both Quantitative as well as verbal.

Mostly business schools prefer GMAt, I asked admission department but in other universities like stanford GRE is the choice. If any update. let me know.

Mahwish

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:29 pm
is it true that there are only 3500 words that need to be learned for GRE verbal?
I am very good at remembering the things lol....i think i can remember a whole book...so seems like GRE will be easier...
is it my wrong assumption?

i have been preparing for GMAT and problem with that i guess is question is asked from anywhere...any thing under the sun...sometime from above the sun as well (physics passages....)