Should I ask my supervisor for a recommendation letter?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I am currently working as a teller at a local bank, with hopes of getting into business school for the Summer 2013 semester. I don't feel like getting my boss to write me a letter of recommendation would normally be a problem, however, the schools I am targeting are in different cities, each of which would entail him losing me as an employee should I get accepted. I feel like he may see the request as "I'm looking to quit and relocated, but am willing to stay as an alternative?"

This all being said, he does know I have considered grad school, as I even brought my GMAT study book to work everyday for about two months, and we have had conversations about the GMAT and about graduate school. Also, he did at one point give me a good recommendation for an internal position that would have required me to relocate had I taken it. How should I approach him about the letter? I really want to ask him for a recommendation but am scared to commit career suicide. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm
I would approach the situation as though you intend on going to school in local areas, say you are applying to others as a back up...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review