Prepare for gmat under 1month URGENT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Prepare for gmat under 1month URGENT

by Swati sharma » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 am
I have just one month to prepare for my gmat. And i havnt started with any of the sections. I just gave one gmat prep test and scored 470 on it. I am aiming for a 600 on the real gmat. I have no idea how to go about it. Please guide me as to how i should prepare for it . All kinds of advises are welcome

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 am
Hi Swati,
First of all, I have to warn you that it takes a lot of work to do well on the GMAT. Even a 600 is better than most people do on the test. However, there are some things that can do that would give you a fighting chance. First, you should focus on the Sentence correction section for your verbal studying. I liked the Manhattan GMAT SC book. You need to read a SC book (perhaps several times) and then do hundreds of SC questions to build up your speed and accuracy. I say that you should focus on the SC section because it's easier to improve your grammar than you reading ability. You should read for at least 30 minutes every day though. I would use the Official guide reading comprehension and critical reasoning questions to practice. As for math- there is a ton of information to learn, but you may be better off mastering certain subject areas instead of having a mediocre handle of everything. Again, I think the Manhattan books would be useful here.

Hope that helps and good luck
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm
There is a lot to do in 1 month. Study the basic hard. Also, consider if waiting is an option.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:21 pm
Swati:

Daniel raises some good thoughts/suggestions. Less than a month -- whew! Is that a firm and hard deadline?

You need to come up with a prioritized list of where you want to focus -- by no means will you be able to cover 'everything' in 30 days. Plus, I'd recommend taking at least 2 if not 3 more practice exams before the big day.

Stacey's got a good article on what to do in the last 14 days -- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/08/ ... -game-plan -- which is not exactly the situation you are in, but since I don't think there's been a ton of prep to-date in your case, this might be the right attitude/approach.

Can you share any details on how you did verbal/quant on the one exam you've taken?

Thanks!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)