Sending in updated GMAT score after application deadline?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

I took the GMAT last week and seriously bombed out on the Quant section (i kind of knew i would),however didn't do too badly on the verbal section. I decided to go ahead and put my application in at Oxford in the vain hope that the strength of the rest of my application may just get me an interview. I have a 3.9 GPA and have approx 7 years work experience, 5 of those as founder and MD of a human rights non-profit in asia. I'm also currently studying a postgrad certificate in business administration at another school, but i don't want to complete there.

My question is, do you think it is possible that Oxford might accept an updated GMAT score either before or after the interview request deadline. And, should i write to them and ask, or is that inappropriate? I'd really like to take the GMAT again in a month and think i could have enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile, i just don't know if they would accept it!

Thanks in advance,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shreerajp99 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:05 am
We both are in the same situation.I got just a 39 on quant and scored 37 on verbal.I have mailed few colleges regarding my plan of sending updated gmat score.Even u should mail oxford and ask if that is ok.

Thanks,
Shreeraj

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:04 pm
Call admissions since this is time sensitive.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am
Many schools don't want to say outright that they'll consider the score if you re-take the test after the deadline because that would go against the purpose of setting a deadline. However, I do know that many top schools end up considering an updated GMAT score anyway if you re-take the GMAT after deadline. Unfortunately, I"m not sure for Oxford in particular.
Last edited by Dan@VinciaPrep on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lmat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:41 pm
Thanks guys,

I emailed admissions at Oxford and was told that:

"Unless the new official score is available when we process the application it cannot be considered. Official scores are usually released within 20 days after taking the test, and your application will have been processed by this point, so unfortunately there is nothing we can do. The committee consider applications as a whole, so if you have a weaker area, they will actively look for compensating factors elsewhere."

Not sure whether i should still go ahead and retake the GMAT anyway, and hope i get an interview. Unless there is a miracle, i guess i'll apply again in round 1 next year!

Back to GMAT study for me...

Thanks again,