MSAS vs. MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MSAS vs. MBA

by Spencer70390 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 am
Hi,

I was recently accepted into Boston University's Metropolitan College "Financial Markets and Institutions" certificate program. I graduated undergrad from Lafayette college in May, and work in Boston now for a start up company. In my admissions letter, they said I was also accepted to their MSAS (Master's of Science in Administration Studies) program contingent upon a certain GPA in my certificate program, but I need to decided whether to enroll or not in the next month.

I only did ok in under grad (3.0 GPA at lafayette college), and was hoping to boost my application to an MBA program by getting my certificate in finance. I am now weighing my options of doing the masters program at BU after i finish the certificate course (credits transfer) because I am already accepted, and they have a concentration in innovation and technology which I find interesting.

In weighing the MBA vs the MSAS, what is the difference? My goal is to do something entrepreneurial down the road, but would like to work in a management position at a start up or management consulting firm until I go do something on my own. I am very ambitious and hope to have many options when I finish my MBA or MSAS. Which do you think companies would be more attracted to?

Also, does administrative studies mean an "administrative position" like entry level? I have not been able to find a real answer of who does this MSAS program, and what type of person does the MBA.

Thank you for your time!