Non-Profit Consulting?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Non-Profit Consulting?

by Woodencrawdad » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 pm
I'm coming from a non-profit background (my niche is religious non-profits). I have a great heart for these organizations and after working in the industry for a number of years, realize the deep need for financial, managerial, and strategic consulting within the industry. So many of these grassroots orgs could benefit from more strategic and sound advice. The difficulty for them is finding people with both the understanding of the specifics of their industry and the business acumen to provide solutions. I believe with an MBA, I will have both.

Does this come across too unfocused for a business school app? Or do I sound like I'm on the right track?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:56 am
You want to define specifically what you are going to do with your knowledge. You say organizations will benefit, but what exactly are you going to do?

Answer that and you will be in good shape.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by max_roper » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 am
Hi Woodencrawdad

Most of us on this board probably agree with you that many grassroot nonprofits (and small businesses) could benefit from more strategic and sound advice. That is why several national organizations like SCORE, Net Impact, USALC, and Taproot partner with talented leaders like yourself and match them with grassroot organizations to complete part-time volunteer consulting projects.

For such leaders, volunteer consulting is a great way to refine key skills in advance of beginning an MBA.

Thanks for sharing & Good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)