I need to beat the GMAT but can't put it all together..

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I need above a 700 and on my practice test I will either do great on RC but bomb others or great on SC and bomb others or do great on CR and RC but bomb the rest. My quantitative needs to improve as well but can't seem to put it together. Any tips and what can help?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 pm
Hey -- more than happy to share some thoughts. Can you provide a bit more info about where you are; what you've done to date (practice exams, etc.) Can definitely provide some thoughts -- but, as you can imagine I am sure, your request is a bit broad :-)

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by bnpetteway » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:45 pm
I hate to admit it but I've taken a course and haven't gotten any better on it. My highest scores on practice test were 440 and I need to reach a 700 + for where I want to go to. I am having the worst trouble on the quantitive part and my favorite subject is math. I've been out of school for over 7 years now and all of this information is getting rusty. I finished with my course in November and I need to take my test soon before the third deadline. I'm not sure what the problem is with the math because it seems easy when everyone explains it but when I look at it for the first time I'm sort of confused. I need a to make a 700, I am DESPERATE for a 700+ and need it bad. I plan on taking it on the 26th of this month and hopefully will get the 700+ score I need. Do you have any suggestions. Also at the moment I am a associate teacher and for 8 hours I'm distracted by children everyday.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 am
Honestly, that is a hug jump in a short period of time. What you need is time to ingrain the fundamentals, especially if you have distractions at home.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by bnpetteway » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:22 am
When you say the fundamentals, are you meaning the formulas? I do need to go over those as well. Some problems aren't making a lot of sense and as far as time is concerned, I've spent a great deal of time on this and this third time taking the test will have to be my last. The 440 score was an improvement from what I made on the other test.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm
Hey -- best reco for you here is to go and find a good book/online tool that will allow you to reground yourself in the core foundations of math principles. As obvious as this may sound, to get from a 440 to a 700+ is quite aggressive, but you need to figure out how to score a 550 before you can get to a 650, and then you can talk about a 700+. Lack of fundamentals/foundation will prevent any significant improvement.

Question -- Why are you taking it on the 26th? Let's talk/think big picture before you do that.

Best,

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)