Retaking the GMAT multiple times

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Retaking the GMAT multiple times

by riddlemethis828 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:02 pm
Do you know if B School admissions committees look critically at each score obtained and the number of times a student has to take the exam?

The reason why I ask is because my prep test scores are not coming out well. So, I'm debating whether I should still go ahead and give the GMAT exam that I am scheduled for next week on the off chance that my score goes up even slightly (making me a more viable candidate for a top 10 business school) or whether I should just change the date for this spring and apply to schools in the first round of Fall 2013. I have to decide by the end of the day today in order to only pay $50 to reschedule.

So far, I've only taken the GMAT once and obtained a dismal 640 (89th percentile Verbal/48th percentile Quant). I'm not sure how the schools would view a second, only marginally better score even if I did obtain a much stronger and more balanced GMAT score after a third attempt.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 pm
Hi riddlemethis828,

Thanks for posting. For the GMAT, on your application your highest GMAT score is self-reported, which is why admissions teams will focus on your best score. There is no harm in taking the exam multiple times if you believe you can improve upon your score.

For your studies, we provide free GMAT tips here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/gmat-files/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me