Due to automobile-related jobs [GMATPREP SC]

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Due to automobile-related jobs in the 1920's employing one of every eight workers, the automobile industry dominated the American economy.

(A) Due to automobile-related jobs in the 1920's employing one of every eight workers, the automobile industry dominated the American economy.
(B) One out of every eight workers were employed in automobile-related jobs in the 1920's, with the American economy being dominated by the automobile industry.
(C) The automobile industry dominated the American economy in the 1920's, with one of every eight workers having been employed in automobile-related jobs.
(D) In the 1920's, the automobile industry had dominated the American economy, when one out of every eight workers was employed in an automobile-related job.
(E) In the 1920's, the automobile industry dominated the American economy, with one out of every eight workers employed in an automobile-related job.

Why E is better than C?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:08 am
ankit0703 wrote:Due to automobile-related jobs in the 1920's employing one of every eight workers, the automobile industry dominated the American economy.

(A) Due to automobile-related jobs in the 1920's employing one of every eight workers, the automobile industry dominated the American economy.
(B) One out of every eight workers were employed in automobile-related jobs in the 1920's, with the American economy being dominated by the automobile industry.
(C) The automobile industry dominated the American economy in the 1920's, with one of every eight workers having been employed in automobile-related jobs.
(D) In the 1920's, the automobile industry had dominated the American economy, when one out of every eight workers was employed in an automobile-related job.
(E) In the 1920's, the automobile industry dominated the American economy, with one out of every eight workers employed in an automobile-related job.

Why E is better than C?
In A, due to seems to modify the automobile industry, implying that the INDUSTRY was due to JOBS -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A.

In B, one (singular subject) does not agree with were (plural).
Eliminate B.

In D, when seems to refer to the economy. When must refer to a MOMENT IN TIME.
Also, the past perfect must refer to an INDEFINITE moment in the past. Thus, it is incorrect to say that the industry had dominated IN THE 1920's.
Eliminate D.

HAVING + past participle implies an action that took place PRIOR to the main verb.
Thus in C, having been employed implies that the workers were employed BEFORE the industry dominated.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the two actions happened AT THE SAME TIME.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is E.

For a further discussion of HAVING + past participle, check my posts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-really-goo ... 01830.html (2 posts)

https://www.beatthegmat.com/diesel-engin ... 88260.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:40 pm
having done
can used before or after a main clause to modify the clause/main verb. we need comma to separate "having done phrase" from main clause.

NOUN HAVING DONE dose not exist in general grammar and so in gmat grammar. eliminate this pattern without thinking because this is mechanical grammar error.

NOUN DOING show

noun which will do
noun which did
noun which had done
any tense. that is why "doing" in this case is call verbal, "no time".