760(Q-50,V-44)- Some Words of wisdom after beating the GMAT!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:7 members
Got done with the GMAT yesterday and scored a 760. Had joined BTG almost 6 months back and finally after so many inspiring stories here, feels so good to be writing one myself

Total 760
Quant 50
Verbal 44
Background:
I belong to the over represented demographic segment of Indian,IT, Male working in one of the supposedly "great companies to work for" so had to get a good GMAT score

The decision to go for an MBA..
There were three primary reasons I wanted to do any MBA I
a)don't want to do the boring work that I'm currently doing
b)don't want to progress slowly.Hey who the hell gives a damn about becoming a team leader/project manager in an IT anyway
c) don't want to earn peanuts b) want to move to silicon valley-the place which is changing the world that we live in

Okay, let me not digress from the topic and make it a "Why MBA" essay and let me share with you my thoughts about my prep and what helped me achieve a good GMAT score. This is less of a debrief and more of a retrospection as I think about what helped me succeed. Here are some words of wisdom from a not-so-wise person who has beat the GMAT!

1. Start early AND finish early : Although I had started my prep quite early, I finished it quite late. I already missed the deadline of ISB Hyderabad and though I'm primarily targeting the US Business schools but I'd have ideally liked to get over with the GMAT in October

2. My struggle with a Busy Work schedule...
This was a huge problem with me as I have a tight working schedule and sometimes I have to stay back in office till 8 in the evening. But I knew one thing for sure, that either I can rot in my current life and work like this earning peanuts or move to the next stage in life which could happen only by doing an MBA. So come what may,I need to study for the GMAT

3. The resources that Helped me crossed the barrier

Official Guide 12th and 13th edition- Don't waste questions in these books by practicing the questions randomly rather extract every bit by doing questions systematically and learning from them

Sentence Correction- Used SC Grail 3rd edition. Use the topicwise question matrix while practicing the 125 questions at the end of the book.I went through the book at least twice. I did use other books for SC but found them confusing. This one is a great book.

Critical Reasoning- CR comes naturally to me but I needed to learn the strategies and question types so that you take lesser time on them. Used CR Grail. Good for additional practice problems.

RC- Practice makes a man perfect and that couldn't be more true for RC. Did around 70-80 passages in all- 26 from OG13+ 30 from Aristotle RC Practice sets+20 from OG11 and OG12. Focus on building your mental stamina and analyze the passages well.

Quant- Used ManhattanGMAT Advanced GMAT Quant Guide for theory. Did around 180 practice questions from Aristotle PS & DS Boosters. Did all the OG Math problems. The initial ones frankly suck but it's the last 50 PS and DS each that you should do really well.

CATs- Did 2 Kaplan, 6 ManhattanGMAT,1 grockit and 2 GMATPREP tests.so in all I did around 12 full length CATs spread over 20-25 days. GMATPREPs are the closest and MGMAT are the next best ones!

5. How I learnt to prioritize
I'm a member of 3 social clubs and NGOs and an active sportsperson and catch up with my friends regularly. However, during the prep phase, I cut down on most of these things. Why? Think about the amount of time one ends up wasting in coordinating/travelling/meeting with friends in big cities. Going for a game of squash would mean that my entire Sunday would just vanish firstly in getting ready for the game, then playing it and then resting after coming back. It's about prioritizing things and focusing on what is important.

It's not being hard on yourself; it's just about not losing focus. Now when the GMAT is done, I can resume all the things

6. My advice for the G-day
The only advice I have for the test day is to not try predicting your score. I thought that I hadn't done well enough on the Quant section but was surprised to see a good score. Think of all the sections as independent ones and don't let your performance in one affect the other

7. What I learnt to Do Right After Doing It Wrong

Focus on learning.Not on doing.I think in the first month all I did was do more and more problems. I would just focus on doing maximum number of questions but learnt that it was not taking me anywhere so learnt the best strategies here and started focusing on doing the things the right way

8. Error Log-Does it help?
Even I had the same question when I read stories of people here who found error log very helpful. I always wondered do I need one.
Now most of us aren't very systematic and maintaining an excel sheet is something that we hate. But I think that error log helps a lot simply because I could come back to the problems I had gotten wrong and needed to review.

9. What I learnt from Full length Practice Tests

One thing I learnt the hard way is that your accuracy on timed practice tests is bound to be less than what it'll be when you'll do only a handful practice problems so one needs to LIVE with this fact and don't lose your sleep. Initially I would get frustrated a lot after seeing the mistakes I'd make in a test.

10. My success Mantra

One of my guiding philosophy in life is that If you do the same thing, you'll get the same result
Probably,this couldn't be more true for the GMAT. If you keep on doing things the same way, you'll get the same results. I had to fundamentally change the way I studied to move beyond the ceiling that I had hit.

Hope you find my tips,advices helpful. I'm absolutely grateful to rishi raj, the forum moderator here for helping me achieve this score.Pestered him with a lot of PMs. Kudos to you buddy!

Followed by:1 members

by targetivy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 am
Really awesome words of wisdom. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Can you elaborate further on how did you manage to fit in studying for the GMAT while having a hectic schedule? I get quite tired after coming home from office.

by vinash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17 am
thanks for healthy share, very very awesom to get these lines from you,,thanks to share with us..
www.ipsmeerut.com/mba.php | PhD Admission 2013| MPhil Admission 2013 | www.markyourcorp.in

by Saunak » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 am
Hey Hemant,

Awesome score man. Congrats !
How were your 6 MGMAT mock and other mock test scores?

Thanks,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 am
hemant02 wrote:
Background:
I belong to the over represented demographic segment of Indian,IT, Male working in one of the supposedly "great companies to work for" so had to get a good GMAT score

The decision to go for an MBA..
There were three primary reasons I wanted to do any MBA I
a)don't want to do the boring work that I'm currently doing
b)don't want to progress slowly.Hey who the hell gives a damn about becoming a team leader/project manager in an IT anyway
c) don't want to earn peanuts b) want to move to silicon valley-the place which is changing the world that we live in
EPIC. This is the story of every ambitious Indian male who feels suffocated by mediocrity around him.

How did you manage to move from 700 to 760 or from V35 to V44 ?

by hemant02 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:15 am
Saunak wrote:Hey Hemant,

Awesome score man. Congrats !
How were your 6 MGMAT mock and other mock test scores?

Thanks,
I think the 6 MGMAT mocks are pretty good. I averaged around 740 on them. I think that the Quant on these tests is tougher and the verbal a little easier than what you'll see on the GMAT.

by shreerajp99 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:56 am
Hey Hemant,I am also in the same boat and wanting to get out of this industry.Can u tell me what kind of questions u encountered on quant and which topcs' questions were the trickiest/time consuming?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

by hemant02 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 pm
shreerajp99 wrote:Hey Hemant,I am also in the same boat and wanting to get out of this industry.Can u tell me what kind of questions u encountered on quant and which topcs' questions were the trickiest/time consuming?

Thanks,
Shreeraj
The questions on the quant were quite similiar to those I had seen in the two GMATPREPs so if there's something I can advice you, it'd be to do each GMATPREP at least twice so that you get to see all the questions they have in their database. Regarding the topics that I found trickiest, it'd be inequalities. I remember i couldn't solve two inequalities questions but the good thing I did was that i guessed them after 1 minute and moved on instead of wasting time.

Followed by:1 members

by gmatrant » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:21 pm
Hi Hemant,

Firstly congratulations on this great score!

A couple of questions,

1.In your post you talk about fundamentally changing the way you prepared. Can you elaborate on the things that you changed while you prepared. It would help if you could elaborate in more detail.

2.How difficult is IR section in gmatprep and the actual GMAT when you compare it against MGMAT tests?

Cheers
gmatrant
A kudos or thanks would do great if my answer has helped you :)

by Javoni » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:04 am
You rock man! God bless you for those words, - either I can rot in my current life and work like this earning peanuts or move to the next stage in life - that means you wanted that awesome score so you went for it with all of your creativity, thumbs up! I wish I could afford that score... Wish you luck in your venture!
Life begins at the End of your Comfort Zone...

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jgnh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:24 pm
FANTASTIC!!!! U just Rock Bro!!

U just well said - "But I knew one thing for sure, that either I can rot in my current life and work like this earning peanuts or move to the next stage in life which could happen only by doing an MBA. So come what may,I need to study for the GMAT"

GOOD LUCK... please keep posting your experiences on the other milestones of the journey.

by gmat.acer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:39 pm
hemant02 wrote: 10. My success Mantra
One of my guiding philosophy in life is that If you do the same thing, you'll get the same result
Probably,this couldn't be more true for the GMAT. If you keep on doing things the same way, you'll get the same results. I had to fundamentally change the way I studied to move beyond the ceiling that I had hit.
Great debrief and a great score!
In your "success mantra" you mentioned-

If you keep on doing things the same way, you'll get the same results. I had to fundamentally change the way I studied to move beyond the ceiling that I had hit.

Could you elaborate on what did you change when you hit the ceiling and how did you do it?

I am in a similar situation in which I am finding difficult to push past 700/710. I understand that study methods differ for every individual, but having an insight into this situation from you might help. I will greatly appreciate if you could talk more about it.

Thanks.

by hemant02 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:18 am
gmatrant wrote:Hi Hemant,

Firstly congratulations on this great score!

A couple of questions,

1.In your post you talk about fundamentally changing the way you prepared. Can you elaborate on the things that you changed while you prepared. It would help if you could elaborate in more detail.
I actually learnt how to change my studying strategy from the attached document. It's concise but really helpful. You will find the last section "Difference between 600,700 and 760 scorer" very very helpful.

2.How difficult is IR section in gmatprep and the actual GMAT when you compare it against MGMAT tests?
The IR section on the GMAT was quite on the lines of what I had practice in the online companion that came with OG13 and GMATPREP
Cheers
gmatrant[/quote]
Attachments
The GMAT Demystified.pdf
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 610 times

Followed by:4 members

by FredT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:34 am
I can absolutely relate to your reasons for going for an MBA. I'm stuck in a boring job and just want to get the hell out of here.
Congratulations on the amazing fete and thanks for sharing your story.

by hemant02 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:05 am
FredT wrote:I can absolutely relate to your reasons for going for an MBA. I'm stuck in a boring job and just want to get the hell out of here.
Congratulations on the amazing fete and thanks for sharing your story.
Hey Fred, I'm glad that the post could help you get inspired. Wish you all the best for the GMAT! :)