Please evaluate and guide

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Please evaluate and guide

by swati.sug » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:17 am
Hi,
.Please evaluate my profile.Details are as follows:

B.Tech from a renowned Indian university(It is among top 25 universities in India) with 8/10.Among top 20% of the students.

Work Experience of 3 years as a software developer with Tata Consultancy Services,India .Client was a leading Indian bank.

I got married in December and had to relocate to US as my husband is working in Dallas.So since February I am in USA and not working as my visa status doesn't allow me to do so.
After coming to US I have joined some community service like taking computer class for seniors and visiting patients,but nothing managerial.
I was associated with community service in India as well.

I will take GMAT on Aug 16th and aiming for 700.

Please tell me how my current unemployed status will affect my chances of admissions in following universities:
1./Univ Of Texas at Austin
2/Texas A&M Mays Schools of Business
3/SMU Cox School Of Business

Please also give your reviews on University Of Texas at Dallas,Cohort MBA and TCU.

Thanks,
S

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 pm
Hey Swati,

Thanks for your post.

You have good credentials and likely a good candidate for the schools mentioned below. However it is hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview.

As you probably know from reading this post - you are (unfortunately) in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT background. Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you different from the thousands of Indian IT applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar backgrounds.

Dont worry too much about your unemployed status. Make sure you state your reason in the Optional Essay. Most schools have an 'optional essay', where applicants can explain any weaknesses/areas of concern in their candidacy. Most applicants use this essay to address issues such as low GPA/GMAT, gaps in employment, why a current supervisor did not provide a LOR.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by swati.sug » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:09 pm
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your response.I cant tell you how encouraging this post is for me..

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:07 pm
Hi Swati,
Glad to help - one thing, I strongly encourage you to apply to your top schools in the first round. This year is going to be ultracompetitive for MBA admissions, so applying in the first round will give you a 'slight' advantage.

Good luck!

by swati.sug » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:12 am
Thanks,
How are the prospects if I apply for the spring admissions(Some univ from my list accept applications in September).
Are there any concerns in applying?

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:32 pm
I don't believe there is a big difference, but you could contact the school to find out what the acceptance rates are for Fall vs. Spring.

Regards,

NP