From 610 to a lopsided 690. What to do?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

My first attempt at the GMAT was in November and I got a sad 610. My second attempt (today) was a 690, but the score is very lopsided: Q42 and V42
The average of the school I'm applying to is 660. How bad is the Q42 going to look? The thing is, outside of the GMAT I have always been very good at math, so it is not that I couldn't handle the math in the program itself (I'm applying to an accounting masters program). Does anyone have any opinions on what the admissions may think?

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:800

by gmatninja » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 am
First of all, you have one of the best BTG usernames I've ever seen. :D

There's no easy answer to your question about the score, unfortunately. Yes, a 42 is awfully low, and most adcom in quant-heavy programs wouldn't be too thrilled with that number. Then again, it really depends on the competitiveness of the program, other elements of your profile, and whether you have other ways to show your quant prowess. A 42 can be forgiven under the right circumstances: if, for example, you're an underrepresented minority with a stellar GPA in a quantitative undergraduate program, your odds of admissions might be pretty good, especially if your work experience is strong.

Then again, a 42 can be a killer if the program really emphasizes the quant score in their admissions policies, and if you don't have other ways to distinguish yourself from other candidates.

I could be wrong here, but I have a feeling that you might be one of those test-takers with strong quant skills, but some approach issues on the actual exam. Maybe you're making careless errors, and maybe you're not managing your time as well as you could? It doesn't seem crazy to think that you could bring your score up if you address some of your content weaknesses and focus on your approach to taking the test. Depending on the deadline for applications, maybe it isn't too late to bring your score up?

Good luck with everything!
helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... https://www.gmatninja.com/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by npoguy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 pm
I had a 43 in quant and just got into Virginia, Georgetown and Northwestern, all of whom have an average GMAT score of at least 680. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That said, I did use the optional essay to tell the AdCom that my quant score was not reflective of my quantitative aptitude and to look at my transcripts. I never had anything less than an A- in statistics, accounting or finance, and if you're as strong as you say you are I'm sure you can make the same pitch.

Good luck!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 am
May be worth retaking in my mind. If you are solid it will reflect in the score, then you don't have to explain it away.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review