School recommendations? 720 Q49 V38

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

School recommendations? 720 Q49 V38

by fzchen89 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:01 pm
Hey guys,

So I recently made my second attempt at the GMAT and I managed to achieve a competitive score:

Q49 V38 Total 720 at 94% (I am still waiting for my AWA and IR results)

Similar to my other post, I'll just briefly mention my background here. I have a BA in Mathematical Economics but I don't really have any relevant work experience other than call center jobs and I just finished my last term in my undergraduate program this month. I was actively involved with a lot of extracurricular groups on campus such as being the president of the Economics Society, a member of the board of directors for Feds, the student union at my school, and a member of the student council on campus. I have strong letters of recommendation from my professors. As well, the majority of the courses I have taken in my 3rd and 4th years have been upper year math courses, such as calculus, linear algebra, statistics, etc., and I am currently at a 3.7 GPA.

I am hoping to obtain a Masters of Finance, not necessarily an MBA, with my career aspirations being more focused on the quantitative side of the financial industry. I am currently a Canadian citizen so I feel that it would only make financial sense for me to apply to top schools in the US, otherwise, I should just remain in Canada. However, I am not sure what the top Finance programs in the US are - other than those offered at the brand name schools - and I know there aren't many reputable ones in Canada. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a list of the schools I intend to apply to:

US
1. Columbia University - MA in Mathematics of Finance
2. John Hopkins University Carey Business School - MS in Finance
3. MIT Sloan School of Management - MS in Finance
4. University of California Berkeley Walter A. Haas School of Business - Master's in Financial Engineering
Canada
1. University of Toronto - MS in Mathematical Finance
2. Queen's University - Master of Finance
3. UBC Sauder School of Business - MSc in Finance
4. SFU Beedie School of Business - MSc in Finance

Not in order of preference, but I would cry and probably have a burst of crazy jubilation if I got into MIT.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:20 pm
Your new GMAT score is competitive and so is your GPA. Your courses in Mathematics do indicate a consistent interest too. Your goal clarity however may be checked more strongly and hence that is the area you need to work on. What would be your inclination post masters, would it be further research or getting into corporate and such questions.
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en