720! I was going to cancel my score!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

720! I was going to cancel my score!!

by shellyr88 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:37 pm
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post my success story and words of encouragement for all those who are still trying to beat the GMAT! On the morning of my test, I read a few of the posts on here and it really motivated me. So I am just trying to pass it on.

I was confident going into the exam (or trying to be at least). This is pretty much what happened:

Essay - Didn't think I would need all 30 minutes and ended up using every second. I ended up getting a bit nervous while writing the essay and I don't think I was able to articulate everything I wanted to say, but I ended up getting down 5 paragraphs.

IR - I was nervous about the time here but I managed to make it through even with time to spare. I think the questions were be a bit easier than on the practice tests I did.

Quant - Honestly, it felt like a whirlwind. It went by so quickly and I was always behind on my timing. I ended up having to just guess on a few questions that I thought would take too long or where I wasnt confident and I was able to finish the section in time. I felt like it went so bad that after finishing quant, I was already thinking about cancelling my score at the end.

Verbal - I always finished early for verbal in practice tests (5 mins or more to spare). I needed all the time to finish this verbal section today. I didnt even get to do the last question, just had to guess to get an answer in on time. I got 3 short passages and 1 long passage. I thought the SC questions were tricky - always came down to 2 and I had a really hard time deciding.

The End - I felt so discouraged, I thought I bombed the test. I ended up not cancelling the score so I could see where to improve for next time and it was a 720!! I honestly couldn't believe it. I guess its just really hard to assess how you might have done due to being nervous and putting too much pressure on yourself (and the experimental questions, of course). Anyways, I'm ecstatic with my score!

SO TAKE-AWAY MESSAGE:
1. Be confident going into the test
2. Don't give up
3. Believe in yourself during the test

Best of luck everyone!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Saunak » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm
Congrats :)
What were your GMAT Quant/Verbal score breakup in 730 ?

Thanks

by AbiNichole » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 pm
Congrats! Thanks for sharing your experience! What was your prep like? Were your practice scores comparable to your test score?

Best of luck on your next steps!

by vinash » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 am
CONGRATS! :) thanks for sharing your valuable experience! my frnd vishisht is going to crack GMAT @2013
he needs some smart prepration like this to crack...welll thanks again for sharing it motivate him a lot...

Best of luck!! for you next target...
www.ipsmeerut.com/mba.php | PhD Admission 2013| MPhil Admission 2013 | www.markyourcorp.in

GMAT Score:720

by shellyr88 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 am
Saunak - Quant 49, Verbal 39

AbiNichole - Studied under 2 months (only worked part time though). Was studying around 3 full days/week (8hours) plus 2-3 hours on working days when it got closer. Mainly did practice sets - strictly timed (10-20 questions) because I was struggling with quant timing. Reviewed every single question whether right or wrong, after every set. Always tried to review every method to solve the question. Then I also went back when I was done the OG13 questions and reviewed all the questions I did wrong for quant.

I only did a few practice tests. I didnt do many tests because I found it hard to focus 100% since I knew it was just a practice test. (That's probably not a good strategy at all though). I did the two free ones with the TPR Cracking the GMAT book, one of the GMATPrep tests and the Free Manhattan CAT:

GMATPrep 2 - 560 (before studying) (didnt finish quant)
Manhattan CAT - 610 (didnt finish quant)
TPR 10 - 690
TPR 9 - 640

Vinash - Best of luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shreerajp99 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:33 pm
Hey,Congrats on getting a 720!
Can u tell me what kind of questions u encountered on quant and which topcs' questions were the trickiest/time consuming?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

Followed by:1 members

by prasad.friend » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 pm
Great score congrats :)

by chcir88ssn » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:16 am
Congratulations on your brilliant result ... :D :)
This type of success story encourages us.
And for GMAT exam motivation is very helpful.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:56 am
Good thing you kept it!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review