Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

OG13-CR#81
The attribution of the choral work Lacrime to the composer Pescard (1400-1474) has been regarded as tentative, since it was based on a single treatise from the early 1500s that named Pescard as the composer. Recently, several musical treaties from the late 1500s have come to light, all of which name Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae. Unfortunately, these newly discovered treatises lend no support to the attribution of Lacrimae to Pescard, since____________.

(A)the treatise from the early 1500s misidentifies the composers of some of the musical works it considers

(B)the author of the treatise from the early 1500s had no very strong evidence on which to base the identification Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae

(C)there are works that can conclusively be attributed to Pescard that are cultivated specifically for the seed they produce rather than for their leaves or roots not even mentioned in the treatise from the early 1500s

(D)the later treatises probably had no source for their attribution other than the earlier treatise

(E)no known treatises from the 1600s identify Pescard as the composer of Lacrimae

OA:D

I don't know which one to choose... and don't know exactly what it's about.
can someone explain this?
thank u...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by amysky_0205 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:51 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

can someone help~??? Experts plz!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sri_r » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:51 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The correct answer is D because even though there are other treatises that attribute Lacrimae to Pescard, what would happen if they all rely on the original treatise(from early 1500s). In such a case, inspite of have multiple treatises as evidence, but the source would still be just one treatise and it is clearly mentioned in the first sentence that we cannot conclude definitely who is the author from a single treatise.

Followed by:3 members

by himu » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Requesting experts to kindly throw some light.
Thanks in advance.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:700

by shenoydevika » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:02 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I'm no expert but I will try to explain.

Here is what we understand from what we are told.
1. - Pescard is believed to have composed Lacrime. This is however tentative. Because there is only one treatise from the early 1500s which names him as the composer.
2. - Several new musical treatises from the late 1500s have been discovered. All of these name Pescard as the composer of Lacrime.

Now this should be conclusive proof that Pescard wrote Lacrime right. Because the later treatises confirm what the older one said.

However the author says that newly discovered treatises do no support the attribution.
What could be the reason?

A] Doesn't matter. Doesn't explain why the LATTER treatises shouldn't prove that the first one was correct.
B] Ok maybe so. But if the latter treatises confirm Pescard as the composer, then it must be correct. But we are told it's not.
C]I don't even understand what this option means. Seeds? Leaves? WHATTTT??? Ignore!!!!
D] This option tells us that the latter treatises probably referred to the older ones. So if the older treatise was wrong, the latter ones would be too. That's why we cannot depend on what the latter treatises say. CORRECT OPTION.
E] I disregarded it because it brings in new information about treatises from 1600. We only care about the early 1500s treatise and the late 1500s treatises here!

Hope this helps. I can elaborate if required

Followed by:8 members

by charu_mahajan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I guess shenoydevika has said it all.

EARLY 1500's ---------------------
Only one treatise says that Pescard is composer.

--------------------------- LATE 1500's
Several treatises say that Pescard is composer.

Now look at the question. Why can't we trust those SEVERAL treatises' ???
Maybe the source of information of those SEVERAL treatises was that one treaty from early 1500's.
Does this make sense now??

Followed by:3 members

by himu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E