Profile Evaluation Urgently Needed--Please help!!

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I would like to know my chances at business schools.Please find my brief profile given below:

GMAT: 680(Q 49 V 33 AWA 4.5 IR 5)
Academics
Undergraduation(Bachelor of Engineering in IT):92.5 %(Non IIT,Non NIT)----Osmania university first ranker in IT branch
12th Standard: 98.2%
10th Standard: 95%

Work experience till date: 2.5 years(Indian IT Female)
I work with Deloitte Consulting and have 2.5 years of experience.I will have 3 years of experience by the time I join the school.Consistently rated as a top performer.

Awards: Got 3 gold medals,2 silver medals,memento and merit certificates in recognition of my oustanding acacdemic excellence(undergrad).
Applause award in Deloitte.
Received the prestigious Prathibha award(Gold medal and merit certificate)for my 10th standard percentage(awarded by Chief Minister).

Promotion:Got promoted within 2 years in Deloitte(early promotion).Normally,it takes 3 years.

Extracurricular:
Selected as President of Students Association for Institute Day in 2010.Played an active role in organizing all the activities.
Selected as Secretary of Students Association for Institute Day in 2009.Played an active role by coordinating with all the volunteers and contributed to the success of the event.
Organized an IT Fest.
Certificate of Appreciation for my contribution as a volunteer in organizing ' Technopreneurial Summit'
Contributed 8 whitepapers on the technology in which I work.
Worked on "Impact of Social Media on Business" initiative.Beacuse of my great work,I was given an applause award.
Part of a NGO for 5 months.Received 'certifcate of recognition' for my dedicated efforts.
Buddy Program(2 months).

Short Term Goals:Currently,I work as an IT consultant.I want to move to IT strategy Consulting position.I want to take up IT strategy management.Work for a top consulting firm as a IT strategy consultant for atleast 5 years.

Long Term Goal: To become partner/principal for a consulting company.

Please let me know my chances of admissions.Do I have any chances for Cornell,Said,Ross,McDonough and Tepper?Also,Please suggest me other schools to which I can apply this year.

Thanks in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:25 pm
Hi priya8712,

Thanks for your post.

The admissions officers typically look at your background in three areas:

1. Academics. A high GPA in a quantitative degree will be an asset to your application, but you will be applying in an oversubscribed pool as someone who earned an engineering degree in India. It will be important to differentiate yourself in other areas. Your 80+% Quant Score will provide confidence to the admissions committee that you can handle the academic rigor of the MBA program, but your overall score and Verbal score will be below average for the schools you have listed.

2. Work experience. Success at a consulting firm will be an asset to your application, but you will have less work experience than the average for top business schools. Also, your career goals are very common - I suggest differentiating by researching the different consulting firm and mentioning a couple specifically where you are interested in working and the reasons why.

3. Extracurricular activities. Serving in a couple formal leadership roles in college will be an asset to your application. It does not look as though you have had much involvement outside of work since graduating from college, which will be below average for the applicant pool to most top business schools.

I would characterize the schools you have listed as "reach" schools for you this year, given your GMAT score, work experience, and extracurricular activities are slightly below the average for those schools. I generally suggest targeting 4-5 schools, with a mix of "reach" (1 in 5 chances of acceptance), "target" (1 in 2 or 3), and "safety" schools (1 in 2). One strategy to consider this year is to be more more aggressive this year given you are still on the lower end of work experience (so could re-apply next year) and apply to 2-3 "reach" schools and 1-2 "target" schools. I would suggest Indiana University, Ohio State, Rice University, Notre Dame, University of Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, and Georgia Tech as "target" schools to consider.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Heidi

Heidi Granner
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]