Miners' union on strike against Coalco.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Miners' union on strike against Coalco.

by amysky_0205 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:58 am
Leaders of a miners' union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal. The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations, which are owned by Energy Incorporated, the same corporation that owns Coalco.

The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to the union leaders' consideration of whether attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal?

(A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated?

(B) Can current Gasco customers easily obtain gasoline elsewhere?

(C) Have other miners' unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?

(D) Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it?

(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations?

OA: E

Can someone explain~~~ I have difficult choosing among CDE.

thank u!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by renetan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:37 pm
My reasoning is D; what happened to other unions of other companies have no impact on what will happen to this union.

E is relevant because if there are other companies that own gas stations, the miners' union's strategy may not work.

C is relevant because it is also miners' unions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:07 am
Hi amysky_0205,

The correct answer is E. That means it is the answer which is LEAST likely to be asked by the union members as they consider whether or not to proceed with the boycott. Of course, the reason it is LEAST likely to be asked is that it is IRRELEVANT to the aims of the boycott.

"Have other miners' unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?" (answer C) is relevant (i.e. something the union members would want to know) because they would want to know if their proposal had worked elsewhere. Because it is relevant, we don't want to choose this answer.

"Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it?" (answer D) is also relevant because they would want to know if their tactics had worked elsewhere. Because it is relevant, we don't want to choose this answer.

"Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations?" (answer E) is irrelevant because we are concerned about this particular gas station and coal company. This is the answer we are after!

I hope this helps.