Verbal Review Question 20

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Verbal Review Question 20

by theachiever » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 am
Declining values for farm equipment and land,the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

A.the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season,is

B.which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season,is

C.the collateral which is borrowed against by farmers to get through the harvest season,is

D.which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season,are

E.the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, are

I usually identify the Subject and Verb correctly but yet kind of confused as to what is the catch/ trick in identifying subject and verb in such sentences.
Resilience is a trait that manifests in an individual when he/she faces consistent failures motivating them to succeed in the end.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by CoachT » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 pm
In this example, "declining values" is the subject.

When the subject is not immediately followed by its verb, be on the lookout for a subject-verb error!

First, we have a prepositional phrase (FOR farm equipment and land). Then we have a modifier that describes farm equipment and land (the collateral against which...). Try to read the core of the sentence without the junk, and you'll have "Declining values is going to force".

In my opinion, the key to SC is a divide-and-conquer approach. Once we know that a S-V error is likely, just skip (temporarily) anything that is not your verb!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rami26 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm
Is the OA D?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:57 pm
theachiever wrote:Declining values for farm equipment and land,the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

A.the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season,is

B.which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season,is

C.the collateral which is borrowed against by farmers to get through the harvest season,is

D.which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season,are

E.the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, are

I usually identify the Subject and Verb correctly but yet kind of confused as to what is the catch/ trick in identifying subject and verb in such sentences.
A which clause set off by commas serves as a NON-ESSENTIAL modifier.
A non-essential modifier can be removed without changing the core meaning of the sentence.
If we omit the which clause in A, B and C, we get:
Declining VALUES for farm equipment and land IS going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit.
The subject here is VALUES.
Declining and for farm equipment and land serve to modify this subject.
What kind of values?
DECLINING values.
What kind of declining values?
Declining values FOR FARM EQUIPMENT AND LAND.
Since values (plural) does not agree with is (singular), eliminate A, B and C.

In D, use as collateral is redundant with to borrow against: to use X as collateral MEANS to borrow against X.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by theachiever » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:37 pm
rami26 wrote:Is the OA D?

OA is E
Resilience is a trait that manifests in an individual when he/she faces consistent failures motivating them to succeed in the end.

Followed by:6 members

by vishugogo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 pm
In option D is the referent of "which" is ambiguous??
GMATGuruNY wrote:
theachiever wrote:Declining values for farm equipment and land,the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

A which clause set off by commas serves as a NON-ESSENTIAL modifier.
A non-essential modifier can be removed without changing the core meaning of the sentence.
If we omit the which clause in A, B and C, we get:
Declining VALUES for farm equipment and land IS going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit.
The subject here is VALUES.
Declining and for farm equipment and land serve to modify this subject.
What kind of values?
DECLINING values.
What kind of declining values?
Declining values FOR FARM EQUIPMENT AND LAND.
Since values (plural) does not agree with is (singular), eliminate A, B and C.

In D, use as collateral is redundant with to borrow against: to use X as collateral MEANS to borrow against X.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.