1000 CR test 13, #16

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

1000 CR test 13, #16

by isisalaska » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:04 pm
I guess this question has not been asked before (I checked Johny thread).

For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.
The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

Why is D? and not E for instance?
Isis Alaska

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by AMalik » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:13 am
Hi,

As you have confusion between D and E, I will give my reasoning for D and E only.

See,
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed
1. a high degree of both international accord and
2. ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained.

(2) is already stated in the statement, but for embargo to be successful the international accord should be there in favour of it.

Choice E mentions only International Unanimity
(which may be in favor or against the embargo), but for the embargo to be successful international unanimity should be in favour of embargo.So E fails.

Whereas choice D takes into account the other statement also that there is a possibility of international discord over the embago. So, there are chances for embago to fail.
So, D should be correct.

I hope this explains your query.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:55 am
E; Simply reiterating what's mentioned in the argument, hence can't be a logical conclusion

Hence D

by Anon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:18 am
Isn't D too extreme ...

Ian...your thoughts on this ???

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Treetrimmer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:51 am
My Answer would be D.
Last edited by Treetrimmer on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:00 am
For what it's worth, I think this is one of the most difficult CR questions in the Official Guide, in part because E is quite tempting as an answer choice. E cannot be correct however; the question says that an embargo requires 'a high degree of ... international accord', not necessarily 'unanimous' international opinion.

The stem describes a paradoxical situation: for an embargo to succeed, you need international accord. An embargo requires a blockade, which will create international discord. So an embargo can't succeed. D.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: 1000 CR test 13, #16

by nitin86 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:11 am
isisalaska wrote:I guess this question has not been asked before (I checked Johny thread).

For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.
The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

Why is D? and not E for instance?
E is not the conclusion, because E talks about "For a blockade of Partria's PORT.....to be successful....", where as the argument is for the Trade embargo on a country....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by NSNguyen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:44 pm
The OA should be D,
E does not satisfy the requirement for international opinion unanimuous
(discord) :P
Please share your idea and your reasoning :D
https://bmnmed.com/home/
https://nguyensinguyen.vietnam21.org

by tparekh » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:52 pm
I chose "B", and couldn't understand the reasoning in the OG. If the international opinion is unanimous against Patria, wouldn't a trade embargo actually succeed, given that all countries will prevent trade with Patria?

I know something is wrong with my reasoning, but dont know what :)

thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pseudononymous » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:35 am
(D)

Successful Embargo = Blockade + International Accord

(A) Contradicts the passage
(B) International accord doesn't mean that the blockade will be successful (don't confuse BLOCKADE with EMBARGO)
(C) A total blockade would ensure that no goods enter or leave, but there's no mention of a naval blockade
(D) is Correct. The trade embargo won't work if there's international discord.
(E) The passage says that the international accord is necessary for the EMBARGO to be successful, not the BLOCKADE.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sharanan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 pm
P1 -> Trade embargo can succeed if high degree of intl. accord and blockade of goods are sustained
P2 -> Total blockade of Patria's ports is a "NECESARRY" condiion for an embargo
P3 -> Blockade of Patria's ports leads to high degree of discord

Conclusion -> Any Trade Embargo against Patria will require that the ports be blocked. This will cause an international discord and thus the embargo will fail. This is clearly stated in D.

It is safe to apply this rule to ANY embargo because blockade of port (and hence intl. discord) is a PRE-CONDITION for an embargo against Patria

Tempting choices are :-

C -> While this may be true that total blockade will ensure that no good enter/leave patria, no evidence is given in the argument to support this

E -> "International opinion must be unanimous" - the word unanimous may mean a discord (embargo fails) or accord (embargo succeeds). Moreover, nature of international opinion is a factor in deciding the success of a trade embargo and not merely the blockade of ports that is just a condition for trade embargo

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by OneTwoThreeFour » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:10 pm
I understand why D is the best answer, but doesn't C answers a logic Gap? I mean, we can infer from the premises given that it is a viable conclusion.

Ex: "A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo"

Since the passage is referring to blocking ports, and only a Navy can block ports, shouldn't C be a viable solution since we have enough premises to conclude it?

Followed by:1 members

by Cumulonimbus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 am
after reading the option A - my instinct was that equal no. of countries will be for and against the embargo and hence the discord - i chose A
I came across the 'balance of opinion' term for the first time