GMAT 660/5 years Experience/ 3.8 GPA (Indian)

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I just wrote my GMAT and scored a 660(Q49,V31).

Academic Qualifications :
MS from Syracuse University (GPA -3.8)
Bachelor's Degree from India (Percentage : 78%)

Work Experience : More than 5 years working as Component Design Engineer at Intel.

Captain of the College Cricket team; Did plays during underground years.

Working for an NGO for more than 4 years in different roles such as treasurer, Event co-ordinator etc

I want to apply in top 10-15 schools in the US. Mostly in R2/R3. Please give me feedback on what schools to apply.

Thanks,

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members

by Shawn@StratusPrep » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:00 am
Hi Vikram,

Thanks for writing. You have excellent undergraduate grades from a well-recognized university; it would be ideal to have a GMAT score at the same level. If possible, take the GMAT again with the goal of scoring above 700. My admissions colleagues at Stratus Prep and I have worked successfully with applicants with GMAT scores as low as the 500s (including an applicant with a 590 who was admitted to HBS with our help), but if you are able to increase your score, you absolutely should especially since you are coming from a highly competitive field (computer engineering). Stratus Prep's GMAT tutors have helped students around the world improve by 100+ points on the test (we just had a client go up from a 560 to 700 and win early decision admission to Columbia). Let me know if you would like more information.

In terms of your MBA admissions, your experience at the NGO will be an asset to your application and help differentiate you from other similar applicants. It is especially impressive that you have been committed to the organization for an extended period of time, and you have held multiple leadership positions. Be sure to demonstrate the specific impact that you have had in your admissions essays and applications.

You don't mention your post-MBA career goals, but if you want to stay in IT, MIT, Haas, and Tepper (as a safety) could be very good schools for you. (It is essential to be able to concisely speak to your long and short-term goals in essays and interviews.) You also didn't mention if you have been promoted at Intel in your five years there. Business schools are looking for professional growth, so they will want to see some positive momentum in your job over the last 5+ years. Be sure to highlight in your essays any teams that you have led as well as any critical projects you have spearheaded.

If you are interested in potentially working with Stratus Prep on your applications and/or GMAT prep, I would be happy to offer you a free consultation. We will be able to give you much more specific advice with more information about your experience and longer-term goals. Free free to email me at [email protected] to schedule an appointment.

Best,
Shawn
Founder/Director, Stratus Prep
Harvard JD/MBA

[email protected]
212-307-1788
www.stratusprep.com

See more Stratus Prep reviews.