Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Help needed for Resume

by thestartupguy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm
Hi Expert,

Could you please help me with the following -

1) If I am promoted in the same organization, how should my resume look, A or B? Should I list achievements at two levels or can it be one compiled list of the entire experience?

Resume A

Associate Manager Jan'12 - Present
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)

Associate Jun'09 - Dec'11
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)

Resume B

Associate Manager Jun'09 - Present
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)
- (role & achievements)

2) How do I mention something that is ongoing, say currently managing a high stake project. Which is correct A or B?

A:

- Manage a team of ten associates to deliver work
- Facilitate team meetings etc.

B:

- Managed a team of ten associates to deliver work
- Facilitated team meetings etc.

3) I was selected for a special initiative where more than 40,000 applications were received and only 300 selected. Is it good to mention that I was among so many 'x' people selected? If yes, could you comment whether the following makes sense, or how can I rephrase it better?

 Recipient of 'x'award for leadership and communication excellence for the year 2011-12, one of the 30 members who were awarded from 7000+ members across the region.

 Selected for 'a' program in the year 2010. One of the 300 youths selected from 40,000 applications.

What is the best way to write the content marked in red?

4) I am a pro bono consultant, working with a company to implement solutions. It's an ongoing project scheduled to complete in Feb'13. Since it is ongoing, there is no measurable impact or achievement. But, this project is something that I am proud of because it is completely self-initiated high impact project - I will obtain strong reco to support this. How to include this experience in the resume? I have currently included the following statement

 Mentor a volunteer to implement and operationalize reports, which are scheduled to be complete by Feb'13

Could you suggest better ways of including this ongoing experience in the the resume?

Regards.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 am
Hi thestartupguy,

Here are my recommendations:

1. I strongly suggest separating out your roles in order to clearly show progression in both titles and responsibilities.
2. Currently responsibilities/projects should be written in the present tense and prior responsibilities/projects in the past tense.
3. Option A is more helpful as it provides more details on the accomplishment
4. Hard to answer here without more details.

For further guidance, I suggest reaching out at [email protected] and/or purchasing our Resume Guide ($9.99): https://www.clearadmit.com/ca-products/resume-guide/.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Heidi

Heidi Granner
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]