TOEFL Grammar problem.

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

TOEFL Grammar problem.

by Azizakaria » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:59 am
I've a problem with the grammar and vocab.and writing but i don't know what's the prep, that can help with these two problems especially grammar and writing..

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 am
Read a lot. Newspapers, magazines, articles on following areas:

1) Technology
2) Scientific research
3) Philosophy
4) Literature
5) History
6) Newspaper editorials

This will give you an exposure to multiple writing styles, sentence formation, correct usage of grammar.
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by eniac » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:47 pm
There are loads of books out there that can help you with this problem. I used these two books

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-TO ... ords=toefl

and https://www.amazon.com/Cracking-TOEFL-Ed ... ords=toefl

but I suggest you to take some private lessons, at least 3 months before you take the test. It is always easier to do that with someone's help, especially speaking part of the test. Also, check at you local TOEFL office if they have courses, they should be much cheaper than working with a tutor.

by eniac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 am
You cannot put does and lives in the same sentence. In this case you should say I don't know where does she live.

I used English Grammar in Use, it's pretty good but since your time is limited I would consider private tutoring as well.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chiccufrazer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 pm
eniac wrote:You cannot put does and lives in the same sentence. In this case you should say I don't know where does she live.

I used English Grammar in Use, it's pretty good but since your time is limited I would consider private tutoring as well.
i think something is wrong in that sentence..the sentence above is a statement not a question!i dont think by any means that does and live would go along together in such a sentence..IMO i think the sentence should have been;i dont know where she lives,or maybe if possible; i dont know where she does live..if i something is wrong with my opinion please do not hesitate to tell me

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant

by KarenVH » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm
The correct form is "I don't know where she lives." The reason is that when a question is embedded as part of a larger sentence (e.g. "I don't know _who he is_," "Do you know _where we should go_?") we don't use the normal question word order (as in "Does she live there?"). Instead we use the standard subject-verb word order that we would use in a statement. We don't add any auxiliary verb (such as "does") because we're not doing question word order and so we don't need it.

In short, you would say "She lives in Boston," not "She does lives in Boston," so the correct form is "I don't know where she lives."

I'm a native speaker and a linguist who just happened to stop in on this thread and I wanted to straighten things out.

by Alina Ross » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 am
Azizakaria wrote:I've a problem with the grammar and vocab.and writing but i don't know what's the prep, that can help with these two problems especially grammar and writing..

Thanks
Please do not play with your future. Have a word with the expert and let them guide you through all the prep and planning.

Here, check this out TOEFL Prep.
Hope that was helpful.