720 - messed it up .. what do i do now?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Got 740, 790, 770, 760 and 760 is official mocks .. lowest being 740!

Took the actual test today - had a good feeling while giving the test - was feeling like a 760-770ish test .. don't know how i only landed up with a 720 ..

final score - 720, 94th percentile (Q 50, 91st percentile .. V 37, 81st percentile) .. obviously the verbal messed it up ..

I want to apply to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, NYU Stern and a couple of other US schools. I am extremely disappointed with my score and need advice on if I should apply using this score or if I should give it again in 31 days? I have to apply in a little over 31 days as well since 2nd round deadlines are coming up. Should i be focussing on essays instead?

My background:
Indian - 24 years old
Undergrad in a leading economics school in India - topped the University
Postgrad at London school of Economics - high merit
GRE - Math 800/800, Verbal 690/800 (score still valid)
2 years of work experience (Will be 2.5 by summer 2013) in the sales and trading division of a leading US investment bank's Mumbai office.

Really need some expert advice on what chances I have with a 720? should i reschedule or just move on and focus on essays?

Any advice/comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mithunvyas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 am
I think it's a no-brainer. Focus on other parts of your application. A 720 on the GMAT comfortably puts you in the ballpark.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 pm
[email protected] wrote:I have to apply in a little over 31 days as well since 2nd round deadlines are coming up. Should i be focussing on essays instead?
Yes - your essays are going to be time consuming and you don't want to neglect those in order to bump up your GMAT score.

https://essaysnark.com/2011/09/what-is-a ... g-kidding/
https://essaysnark.com/2011/09/what-is-a ... al-answer/
https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/

GMAT Score:740

by mohankiran.p » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:52 pm
The application process for most of these schools is quite time consuming. If you are hell bent on applying for 2013 fall, you should accept 720 and start with your applications as you won't have enough time to put everything together for R2 deadlines.

Looks like you can do much better and you just had a bad day with Verbal. Did you attempt AWA whole-heartedly everytime you took a mock test? Most of the times people skip AWA and the exam fatigue hits you in the last 30-60 minutes on D-day as your brain is not used to focusing intensely for 4 hours.

Schools are used to seeing higher scores from Indian applicants and you might lose a bit of an edge there, but if you have an otherwise stellar profile and work ex you should go ahead with 720. If things don't work out and you are confident of a 750+ score, you can always retake around May/June next year and make sure you have enough time to prep for early rounds.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 pm
Too funny - BTG tweeted this post and we rambled over here to say "a 720 is fine!!!" and paste in some links from our blahg - and sure enough, Bschool2013 beat us to it! Thanks!

It's also a lesson in brevity - if it had been us answering, we woulda prolly gone on like 3 or 4 looooong paragraphs to say the same thing. :-D

@ruchitpuri, the others on this thread got your back: Go focus on the other stuff now. A higher score won't get you more than great essays will.

Good luck!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Legendary Member

by essaysnark » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 pm
mohankiran.p wrote:Looks like you can do much better and you just had a bad day with Verbal. Did you attempt AWA whole-heartedly everytime you took a mock test? Most of the times people skip AWA and the exam fatigue hits you in the last 30-60 minutes on D-day as your brain is not used to focusing intensely for 4 hours.
Just one question on this bit - We're probably just reading it wrong, but it sounds like you're implying that the AWA factors into the verbal score, which it does not. It's certainly a valid point on practicing the AWA too; the stamina thing plays a part.

The 37V is just fine though and paired iwth a 50Q, the OP's score is solid.
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:15 pm
essaysnark wrote:Too funny - BTG tweeted this post and we rambled over here to say "a 720 is fine!!!" and paste in some links from our blahg - and sure enough, Bschool2013 beat us to it! Thanks!
I love those links because sooooooo many people get a 720/730 and whine...err...ask if they should take it again. As a guy who took 3 tries to crack 700, I'd take 720 in a heartbeat! Especially the OP's...94%? Check. 80/80 split? Check!

GMAT Score:740

by mohankiran.p » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 pm
essaysnark wrote:
mohankiran.p wrote:Looks like you can do much better and you just had a bad day with Verbal. Did you attempt AWA whole-heartedly everytime you took a mock test? Most of the times people skip AWA and the exam fatigue hits you in the last 30-60 minutes on D-day as your brain is not used to focusing intensely for 4 hours.
Just one question on this bit - We're probably just reading it wrong, but it sounds like you're implying that the AWA factors into the verbal score, which it does not. It's certainly a valid point on practicing the AWA too; the stamina thing plays a part.

The 37V is just fine though and paired iwth a 50Q, the OP's score is solid.
I was referring to the stamina aspect. Nothing to do with AWA score.

Concentration level drops drastically between 3rd hour and 4th hour into the test unless someone is exceptional or had good amount of practice.

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:03 pm
Fine tune your application, Blast the essays and prep for the interview. If you think you have done enough and can spare an hour a day on prep (basically to keep you @ your level)..then take the test after 31 days (if it isnt too much trouble)..If you got a 720 you can easily score a 740 @ your same prep level (usually they say there is a +-20 swing) so if you can dedicate say 4-5 hours a week on prep you can maybe take it again, but make sure not to cut time from your application.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 am
thank you all for your comments/advice - really appreciate it. Few quick questions:

1. Is it true that Harvard/Stanford/Wharton (my target schools) give more importance to the Quant score than the Verbal score?

2. While its true that average GMAT is ~ 720 in most of these schools, the average GMAT of Indian applicants is higher. Hence, doesn't that effectively make my score even lower?

3. My GRE score - still valid : Math 800/800, Verbal 690/800 (96th percentile). Every school has asked for GRE/GMAT in their app. I'll submit both. Do you think that ll help?

4. Finally, I'm 24 and will have a little over 2.5 years of work ex by summer 2013. Is that ok or will it affect my chances?

Legendary Member

by essaysnark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 am
Great questions - here's some answers:
[email protected] wrote:1. Is it true that Harvard/Stanford/Wharton (my target schools) give more importance to the Quant score than the Verbal score?
Yes, quant is generally more important, only due to the nature of the bschool curriculum. How important quant vs verbal is depends to some degree on the entirety of the profile so there are no categorical answers to this looking at the score in isolation.

For you specifically: Your score is strong across the board; you've proven you can handle the material. That's the whole point of the GMAT. Retesting to raise the verbal is a little silly.
[email protected] wrote:2. While its true that average GMAT is ~ 720 in most of these schools, the average GMAT of Indian applicants is higher. Hence, doesn't that effectively make my score even lower?
Actually, our understanding is that average GMAT for Indian applicants at top schools is 720. (Shameless plug: We cover this and pretty much all these questions in our Indians' Guide to Getting In https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/ )
[email protected] wrote:3. My GRE score - still valid : Math 800/800, Verbal 690/800 (96th percentile). Every school has asked for GRE/GMAT in their app. I'll submit both. Do you think that ll help?
Will it "help" what? Your GMAT score is fine. (We're resisting the urge to say this in all caps.) Regardless, having two sets of test scores does not do anything for you and many schools won't consider more than one score anyway. Plus, some schools have a distinct preference for GMAT. But all that is beside the point. The GMAT score you have has proven you can handle the material. And your GRE doesn't seem any stronger on verbal so what are you feeling it would do for you?
[email protected] wrote:4. Finally, I'm 24 and will have a little over 2.5 years of work ex by summer 2013. Is that ok or will it affect my chances?
Nobody can answer this for you; when you apply to bschool is totally up to when you feel ready. You'll need to present enough compelling stories of leadership and impact in the essays to demonstrate to the adcoms that you're ready. Many schools prefer older students and the average at most US schools is 4 or 5 years of work experience, but it's your job to present reasons why you need the MBA now. Some schools are more flexible with going for younger candidates. It all depends on your positioning. (And no, a higher GMAT score won't help if they feel you're not yet prepared from the work experience side; these dimensions are unrelated.)

If you're worried that you don't have enough to make it in yet, then one reason NOT to try for a higher GMAT score right now is that if you end up as a reapplicant, you'll need to submit significant proof of improvement in your profile - and one great way to do that is an increased test score. If you retest now and max out the test, then you're removing that opportunity from your future strategy. As a younger candidate, we would suggest planning for the long term, as this could take multiple seasons for you to get the win.

EssaySnark

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 am
Thanks a LOT!! That is very very helpful - just the clarity i needed in my head to move on from GMAT to the more important essay questions.

Love the last para - hadn't thought of that angle. Thanks a ton once again.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Your score is not so bad but as you tried so many times already that's why I would not suggest you to try ones more, you should try for schools who accept low score.

GMAT Score:690

by buzzz85 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:57 pm
[email protected] wrote:Got 740, 790, 770, 760 and 760 is official mocks .. lowest being 740!

Took the actual test today - had a good feeling while giving the test - was feeling like a 760-770ish test .. don't know how i only landed up with a 720 ..

final score - 720, 94th percentile (Q 50, 91st percentile .. V 37, 81st percentile) .. obviously the verbal messed it up ..

I want to apply to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, NYU Stern and a couple of other US schools. I am extremely disappointed with my score and need advice on if I should apply using this score or if I should give it again in 31 days? I have to apply in a little over 31 days as well since 2nd round deadlines are coming up. Should i be focussing on essays instead?

My background:
Indian - 24 years old
Undergrad in a leading economics school in India - topped the University
Postgrad at London school of Economics - high merit
GRE - Math 800/800, Verbal 690/800 (score still valid)
2 years of work experience (Will be 2.5 by summer 2013) in the sales and trading division of a leading US investment bank's Mumbai office.

Really need some expert advice on what chances I have with a 720? should i reschedule or just move on and focus on essays?

Any advice/comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks
You have a very good profile and 720 is a pretty good score. Based upon my experience, even with a moderate score of 690, I got admission offers from IIMC,ISB etc. The GMAT score serves as a cut-off and 720 is sure to sail through. Whether you will be selected, is then decided by your application, overall acads, job exp and interview.
You should forget about GMAT now and start with the essays. I am sure you will make it.
My best wishes are with you

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:09 am
thanks all

just got my Final score.. Got a 5 in analytical writing and a 7 in Integrated reasoning .. do you guys think it matters? the AWA and IR score?

Thanks once again .