Errors in OG 11??

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Errors in OG 11??

by dubc1982 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:22 am
Has anyone noticed major errors in the OG 11 DS section (ones that completely alter the problem? I think I found one in question 128. It asks:

If x is an integer, is x |x| < 2x?

(1) x<0
(2) x = -10

The answer was D. But in the explanation they treated 2x as if it were 2 with exponent x. This obviously completely changes the question and answers. Anyone else noticing errors like this?

On another note, this section has 155 questions. Since I'm on 128, would these be considered the most difficult DS I'd see on the GMAT? I'm getting quite a few wrong, but still some right and the ones I get wrong make sense once I read the explanation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:50 am
Some earlier printings of the 11th Edition of the Official Guide have errors that were fixed in later printings. The question you refer to above, for example, is printed correctly in my printing (the x is in the exponent), but I've read here and on other forums that it was printed incorrectly in earlier printings.

GMAC did issue a list of corrections to the Official Guide, which you can find here:

www.mba.com/NR/rdonlyres/B6424CFB-B6BA- ... l82006.pdf

Many people will not need this list; all of these errors are fixed in recent printings of the book. Apparently the correction to the number line diagram on page 154 is a particularly obvious mistake, so you can compare the diagram in your book with the diagram in the pdf file above; if they're different, then you need the above document, and if not, you probably don't.

All of that said, bizarrely the corrections pdf does not mention the problem with the 'x' in question 128. Still, that's fixed in later printings; I have no idea why this issue is not mentioned in the official list of corrections. And, there are still at least two errors in the printing I have, which I'll post about at some point. On the whole, however, I find fewer errors in the Official Guide than in other GMAT books.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com