OG 10th edition- WORLDS POPULATION

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

OG 10th edition- WORLDS POPULATION

by eaakbari » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:39 am
158. With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its
nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per
capita than Europeans do.

(A) With
(B) As
(C) Being
(D) Despite having
(E) Although accounting for

OA=E. I did get the answer right, but what is the logical explanation for the answer not being C.

The OE for the answer not being C is

Choices B and C lose the contrast between the opening phrase and the main clause, and As is unidiomatic in B.
Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
- Henry Ford

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 am
what i understand is that in order to create contrast between the population of people and the activities of the people we want that kind of word.

so we have D and E so E is better.

thats why being doest not give the feeling of contrast. thats why not choosen

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 am
time:1:07
i would say D as it seems better than E as contradictary information is being presented....

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 am
oh,i didnt realize the answer was already published

any way seems like it is using accounting as it deals with the number

i feel and felt despite is right word as contradiction is being presented.....

they say english is funny language,may be now i am knowing "why is it called so" lol

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:42 members

by arpita@gurome » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:52 am
eaakbari wrote:158. With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its
nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per

(A) With
(B) As
(C) Being
(D) Despite having

The contrast here is between the size of the population in the United States and what the consumption of natural resources, water, etc. by the population. Only (D) and (E) establish the contrast. (D) is incorrect because "despite having 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens..." suggests that the citizens of United States have 5 percent of the world's population. (E) fixes the confusion.
(A) is incorrect because "With only 5 percent of the world's population United States citizens" suggests that the citizens of United States have 5 percent of the world's population. "As" in (B) and "Being" in (C) are both unidiomatic.

Hope this helps.
Arpita Sen
Verbal and Admissions Expert
Gurome, Inc.
www.GuroMe.com
Win a free MBA essay review: https://bit.ly/toZumc

1-800-566-4043
+91 99201 32411 (India)

Legendary Member

by frank1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 am
thanks for explanation
Seems like the word "having" laid me down...lol...
(as it is not that people of united states have 5% population ....rather they are 5% population....)

but i wonder what would have been the case, if it was
...... only 5 percent of the world's population, United States consume
instead of
...... only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by YellowSapphire » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:09 am
arpita@gurome wrote: The contrast here is between the size of the population in the United States and what the consumption of natural resources, water, etc. by the population. Only (D) and (E) establish the contrast. (D) is incorrect because "despite having 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens..." suggests that the citizens of United States have 5 percent of the world's population. (E) fixes the confusion.
Hope this helps.
I am confused over D and E.

Although you explanation is correct, I still have doubt.

Is "according for" is correct?

What is difference in meaning between D and E? D: shows possession.
Yellow Sapphire

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:47 am
eaakbari wrote:158. With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per

(A) With
(B) As
(C) Being
(D) Despite having

OA=E. I did get the answer right, but what is the logical explanation for the answer not being C.

The OE for the answer not being C is

Choices B and C lose the contrast between the opening phrase and the main clause, and As is unidiomatic in B.
Theory:

1. With X and Y, they have done this.

=> Means that they have X and Y and have done this with that.

"with X and Y, NOUN"--> With X and Y" modifies the NOUN.

Application:

=> Option A means that USA citizens have 5 percent of world population. Does it make sense? NO.

Theory#02:

AS + Clause --is the accepted form in GMAT. After AS we should not use NOUN or NOUN phrase.

[There may have some exceptions]

Application:

In the option B, AS + NOUN phrase has been used. OUT.

Theory#03:

(Being + NOUN) + COMMA + NOUN=> "Being + NOUN/NOUN phrase" modifies the NOUN after comma.

Example:
Being the president of the organization, he announced the budget.

Application:

Being 5% of the world population, USA citizens====> USA citizens are only 5% of world population. DOES it make sense? NO.

Theory#04:

Despite having XX, they are doing this.

=> Despite having XX modifies the noun immediately after comma.

Example:

Despite having pain in leg, he was working hard.

=> he has pain in his leg.

Application:

The option D means USA citizens have 5% of world population. => It means that USA citizens possess the 5% of world population. Actually the intended meaning is "USA citizens" comprise 5% of world population. D changes the meaning of the sentence. D is out.

Answer is E.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by autmnleaf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:21 am
I have one doubt. "Although" introduces a dependent clause with a SV pair (Syntax: Although + Subject + Verb). I may be missing something very silly, but could someone please let me know the S-V pair in the dependent clause in option E in this question?

I was confused on this ques because of the same reason, as none of the answer choices seemed right to me, and was inclined towards E, but the aforementioned issue confused me.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:49 pm
autmnleaf wrote:I have one doubt. "Although" introduces a dependent clause with a SV pair (Syntax: Although + Subject + Verb). I may be missing something very silly, but could someone please let me know the S-V pair in the dependent clause in option E in this question?

I was confused on this ques because of the same reason, as none of the answer choices seemed right to me, and was inclined towards E, but the aforementioned issue confused me.
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and verb when their presence is clearly understood.
Such a clause is called a VERBLESS clause.
Typically, the omitted verb is a form of TO BE.

SC12 in the OG12:
Rising inventories, if [they are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
In the OA here, the bracketed subject and verb are omitted, but their presence is clearly understood.

In the OA to the SC above, although accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population is an example of a verbless subordinate clause.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3