improve verbal section

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

improve verbal section

by Caps » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:51 pm
Hi

I am 2 weeks away from my test day and I am having some problems with verbal section. In general I have around 600 score, but most due to verbal section. English is not my mother tongue.
I have good scores in math but verbal section poor results.
Could you give me some advice on how should I imporve my verbal section??

tnks in advanced

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:07 pm
Hi Caps:

Can you describe you strategy to date for studying for verbal?

My recommendation is to adopt a strategy that focuses on examining your errors/identifying your weaknesses, and methodically improving upon them.

Check out my GMAT Blog: https://beatthegmat.blocked
and the GMAT Resource Wiki: https://www.beatthegmat.com/wiki/

There are a lot of resources and tips there to help you improve your verbal score.

Best of luck!
Last edited by beatthegmat on Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:15 pm
Hi, English is not my first language either and guess what? I am scoring higher on this section now, why?

1- I bought the Manhattan grammar book, the best book you can buy, a MUST
2- I read DAILY the New york times, especially the boring and difficult articles such as the scientific ones
3- I have practiced a lot of questions, using books and also the 1000 SC, see the SC section and download them if you have not already

Anyhow, it is possible to improve your vebal part even if you ar enot a native speaker, good luck :)
Last edited by isisalaska on Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isis Alaska

Verbal section

by Caps » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:03 pm
Tnks for your reply.... all of you

The idea about newspapers it is very good....

Eric, my strategy at the moment is do exams to practice time, because I'm not completing in the amount of time the exam gives you.

I was basically doing exercices on the OG, and practice to identify the kind of questions. In VS the most difficult part for me is RC, since I hate to read... in general, I'm not much of a reader.
I saw you flash notes, and they have great advices, tnks for that.

I'm working at the same time, which means I basically have the weekends for studying, since weekdays I arrive late at home.

Sugestions are very welcome...

Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Verbal section

by beatthegmat » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:38 pm
Caps wrote:Tnks for your reply.... all of you

The idea about newspapers it is very good....

Eric, my strategy at the moment is do exams to practice time, because I'm not completing in the amount of time the exam gives you.

I was basically doing exercices on the OG, and practice to identify the kind of questions. In VS the most difficult part for me is RC, since I hate to read... in general, I'm not much of a reader.
I saw you flash notes, and they have great advices, tnks for that.

I'm working at the same time, which means I basically have the weekends for studying, since weekdays I arrive late at home.

Sugestions are very welcome...

Regards
Hi Caps:

If your short-term goal is to practice timing, DO NOT use your practice exams--save those tests for later, when you actually need to practice doing the entire test.

Practice your timing on OG, or other reference books. Practice problems are abundant, but full-length practice tests are scarce.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by Caps » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:41 pm
thanks for your prompt reply eric

The thing is, I don't have much time to study, unfortunately, and since my weekends are all I have, I'm practicing exams.... but anyway, I will try to practice more OG, than exams....

Any other advice is welcome
tnks
Caps

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:23 pm
Just doing a lot of problems is a very slow way to progress. It's also important to actually learn something from every single problem that you do - and even to learn things without doing a problem, from GMAT study guides. You need a book that helps you learn techniques for doing the three kinds of verbal questions (we have books for these and so do other companies - go get something that will teach you how to process these questions).

And every time you do a question, pick it apart afterwards. Really try to learn why it was constructed the way it was, what answers are the trap answers, why the right answer is right, exactly why each of the four answers is wrong, etc.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by Caps » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:35 pm
Tnks Stacey for your answer

I have study from some books, the techniques, and believe I have implrve something.... but what I am looking for is 700+ and for that I need to improve my english....

I can get around 70% of my verbal answers correct, but I need more. The thing is, sometimes I get less in verbal sectios, around 60% correct and tha changes the result a lot....

I will review the lessons in some books, so I can try to improve...
tnks a lot once more

by night » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:32 pm
:shock: thank you for the advice :shock: