Need guidance and Help - 5 weeks to go

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Need guidance and Help - 5 weeks to go

by guerrero » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:08 pm
Hello All,

This is my first Post here on GMAT startegy , its not my first visit though :-D . I 've been sneaking around the forum all this days seeking help from the experts and other members .

I am here because I had reschedule My GMAT appointment due to lack of practice .I am writing my GMAT on 24th Dec . I earlier booked it for 26th November , but due to lack of time and dedication I could not get my self ready for the exam .

I wouldn't ramble much , and would like to come to the point . I have given one Prac test so far scored 600 in that ( excluding AWa and IR) . I know most of you would say " this guy is not serious on cracking Gmat just one mock so far " .I always have this in the back of my head that I will prepare the Topics well and then start writing the exams.This attitude has let me down .

So here's where i need guidance -- I want a score of 700 + , and ready to put all efforts i can in this coming weeks .I have even taken leave from work from 12-24th Dec ( I hardly find time to study when at work ) .

1) Study Material
currently I am possessing following material -

1) OG 12 ( already done once )
2)Quant ( Some old materials for basics not pertaining to GMAT though + Manhattan Advance Quant )
3)Verbal ( CR Bible & SC Bible)

I do not 've anything good on permutation and combinations & Probability . can any one suggest a book /online link to work on PnC and Probability questions ? ( I am good with the Basics and looking for tough question sets or mostly in bunch with variety )

Do i need to buy any additional material ?

2)Practice tests
coming to practice tests--

How many Prac tests should I give during this 5 weeks preparation ?

I have 2 from mba.com ( which I am going to attempt this weekend) . Can you guys help me find series of good/ genuine Practice tests .
I am okay to spend few extra money to practice additional Mocks.

What should be plan after taking each Prac test - of course reviewing them first . Should I retake the Mocks, etc..?

3) Study Plan till 22December

How should I plan? I need a serious advice from experts here , time is limited and I have a tendency of diverting myself most of the time from the study plan , which is why i paid a heavy price by rescheduling my GMAT appointment ( I regret it so much) .

This is what my schedule permit - I can devote 7-8 hours a day till 11th Dec , I 've taken leave from work from 12th till24th Dec ( 24th is my appointment day). so 10-15 hours each day.

How do i plan on studying and revising GMAT during this short duration, I highly need suggestions on this .I am targeting 700+ and I know there's a lot of trick to learn .

4) LAST but not the least -

I haven't touched AWA and IR so far . How should I practice those , Is it really going to matter if i score less on both ?

After my test on 24th I will be eligible for the R2 application, some closing as early as 3 JAN . How can i work on submitting my applications in 1 week time ? I am really confused with this .Experts , please shed some light on what i should be doing on the application front

Hope I did not do much of rambling.ANy help is greatly appreciated . thank you in anticipation !

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:760

by unclesam2013 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm
Don't worry about AWA and IR, just focus on Verbal and Quant.
For practice tests, you may go for MGMAT tests(you would have gotten access to them as you have bought MGMAT Advanced Quant Guide)
Regarding whether you need extra material, it depends on how confident do you currently feel with the material you have. If you feel that you are hitting good accuracy in Verbal, then you don't need anything else; if you are struggling better get some good books(and possibly avoid a retake and mental stress).

by guerrero » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 am
Thanks for valuable suggestion . Can you please comment on my last point ?

After writing GMAT on 24th ,I will be eligible for R2 applications, some closing as early as 3 JAN . How can i work on submitting my applications in 1 week time ? I am really confused with this..
e.g HKUST R2 dealine is 3rd Jan .
unclesam2013 wrote:Don't worry about AWA and IR, just focus on Verbal and Quant.
For practice tests, you may go for MGMAT tests(you would have gotten access to them as you have bought MGMAT Advanced Quant Guide)
Regarding whether you need extra material, it depends on how confident do you currently feel with the material you have. If you feel that you are hitting good accuracy in Verbal, then you don't need anything else; if you are struggling better get some good books(and possibly avoid a retake and mental stress).

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:760

by unclesam2013 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 am
You can probably start doing the preliminary work form now itself- keep aside half an hour per day and you will see that you'll be quite prepared

by guerrero » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm
Thanks for the insight. ATB for your exam , today .