680 to 710 - I just Beat The GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:710

680 to 710 - I just Beat The GMAT

by benjiboo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:02 pm
Hello. I just got back from the test center, and I can proudly say I just Beat the GMAT. 710! I've been waiting since 2009 to write this post. Here is my story and my advice.

I first took the GMAT in Dec 2009. I studied for a little less than 6 months and received a 680. I was upset because I had hit 700+ in many practice test. I self studied for this test using MGMAT book. Part of the reason I was doing well is I had just graduated college and had taken a lot of quant and english courses in my senior year. I ended up meaning to retake the test, but never could get back into the swing of things to study.

Fast forward to June 2012. I decided to start b-school applications and really felt like the 680 score was going to weigh down my application at my top choices. So I decided to try and retake the GMAT. I enrolled in MGMAT classes, and studied, I took the GMAT in Oct. I really struggled on practice test. I got a 640, such a large drop from my initial score. My verbal went down a lot, and my quant went up slightly. I was really bummed out.

I had been using BeatTheGmat.com for a while now. It is the best place to get answer explanations. I really liked Mitch H's aka GMATGURUNY https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/experts/mitch answers. I contacted him through the forum to set up some tutoring.

Mitch was an amazing tutor. My quant score improved tremendously. I met with him 2, sometimes 3 times a week for two hours at a time. I don't think I would have improved at the pace I did, if not for him. He was also very attentive with giving me homework, checking in on me to see how I was doing, and making sure I understood things. He even emailed me right before my test to wish me good luck. I highly recommend that anybody (specially if you live by NYC), that needs to improve their score and only has 1-2 months, email Mitch. When trying to get into a top MBA school - its not the time to try and save a little dough. Not to mention, Mitch is very reasonably priced. Much less than an MGMAT tutor.

Test day was a little crazy. My test was pretty late in the day after work. I actually went to work and freaked out for a 10 minutes because I thought I was not ready. But then I calmed myself, walked down to the test center (w 44th street), and got myself excited.

I actually ran out of time on both sections. I had to finish last 3 quant within a minute each. For verbal I had 6 questions left with 6 minutes, including a reading comp! I didnt practice well with pacing. So go figure. When my score screen popped up with a 710, I actually hooray-ed in the test center. Woo!

Materials: I own every GMAT material there is (just kidding, but its a lot). Few OG"s and the extra OG books. The MGMAT books, GMAT Hacks, and several other guides. I recommend making your own study guides from all the guides and books out there. This helps you organize the best of each option. For example, I liked how GMAT Hacks did remainders vs MGMAT. So I put just their remainder stuff in my guide (my guides are available, will post later... for free).

Tutor: Don't be cheap, get a tutor if you need it. Worry about recouping the money after you get into HBS ;-)

Motivation: Find some. Mine was my family, girlfriend, and dreams.

I BEAT THE GMAT! Good luck to everyone trying! It is possible!

Best,
Benjiboo
Last edited by benjiboo on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shahir16 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm
Congrats on the amazing score! Looking forward to seeing the guides you will post

by benjiboo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:23 am
I recommend you make your own guides. Here are the ones I made.
Attachments
Algebra.pdf
Algebra MGMAT guide
(191.03 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
Equations Ineqaul Vic by Benji PDF.pdf
Equations & Ineqaul
(245.68 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
Geometry.pdf
Geometry
(285.17 KiB) Downloaded 822 times

by benjiboo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 am
Attachments
Number Properties by Benji PDF.pdf
Numer properties 1
(222.49 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
Number Properties.pdf
Number properties 2
(255.19 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
Practice Slides.pdf
practice slides
(256.49 KiB) Downloaded 784 times

by benjiboo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:25 am
Attachments
Sentance Correction by Benji PDF.pdf
sentence Correction 1
(275.72 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
Sentence Correction.pdf
sentence Correction 2
(172.78 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
Word Problems.pdf
Word problems 1
(219.65 KiB) Downloaded 770 times

by benjiboo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:26 am
Attachments
Word translations by Benji PDF.pdf
word translations 2
(331.66 KiB) Downloaded 736 times

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:49 am
This is so encouraging. Thanks for taking time to write about your experience. I just finished the online MGMAT and taking the exam for a 2nd time, and got a 670. I've been shooting for over a 700, and so its been very discouraging hitting below. I downloaded your guide and may contact Mitch (although I live in SD). Thanks again. You gave me a little hope.

by benjiboo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm
Eric,

I would highly recommend Mitch. I know he does a lot of tutoring via skype. It may or may not be the same - def worth a try though. In any event, find a tutor, because I was in your spot. Its just a little more content you need to get past the next hump.

May I also suggest asking Mitch to teach you absolute values, as MGMAT does not do a good job on this. After Mitch, those questions (and the hidden absolute value questions), because the easiest on the GMAT for me. I may be wrong, but I think that is one content area needed to boost into the 700 range.

Good luck

Ben
[email protected] wrote:This is so encouraging. Thanks for taking time to write about your experience. I just finished the online MGMAT and taking the exam for a 2nd time, and got a 670. I've been shooting for over a 700, and so its been very discouraging hitting below. I downloaded your guide and may contact Mitch (although I live in SD). Thanks again. You gave me a little hope.

Followed by:2 members

by ashutoshagrawal76 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 pm
Hi Benjiboo,

Congrats for the score,
I am really struggling with Reading Comprehension questions.
I will be taking GMAT on 3rd December, so not much time left for me
Please give some advice.

Cheers,
Ashutosh

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Cosmas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:44 pm
Benjiboo,

thanks for the attachments mate. Really helpful summaries. God bless.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 am
Congrats! Awesome achievement.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by thevenus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 am
congrats ! and good luck !

kudos for sharing the stuffs !
"Make more efforts"