For MBA in IT, doed CFA level 1 help?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

For MBA in IT, doed CFA level 1 help?

by Dean Jones » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:36 pm
Hi All,

For a candidate,having 8 yrs of IT expr, seeking to do an MBA in IT, does a CFA level 1 certificate or any other finance degree add to his chances of getting selected?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance.

Deano.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 am
Hi Dean,
Generally, schools want to know two things when selecting MBA students: are you smart enough, and are you cool enough. Having passed the CFA level one helps a little with the are you smart enough question since the pass rate is only 35% or so, but I think most people only start talking about the CFA once they've passed two levels. This is partly because passing the CFA level 1 doesn't really make you "cool" . That is, there are a fair number of applicants that have passed the level 1 exam or have done equally or more difficult things so passing the level 1 CFA exam doesn't really make you that unique.

That said, when you say that you want to do an MBA in IT, do you plan on doing something that connects IT with finance? If so, stating that you've taking the CFA level one exam could help show that you're on your way to making this plan a reality.

Cheers
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Jason25 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:34 pm
CFA level 1 and 2 don't probably help much in getting through a business school but they certainly help when you are looking for jobs/internships during MBA. Good insights by Daniel Heart.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:52 am
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT