Profile evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by Thoth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 am
Hi,

I am an electronics and communication engineer from India, having following work experience and achievements:

- I have two years of work experience with a French IT consulting giant. I was selected as a member of one of their centres of excellence and prepared many proofs of concepts apart from working with a top investment bank on a niche technology.

- I was very much involved with the research work during my engineering and presented research papers at about 10 national conferences, which also published my work. Also, with my team of 4 members, created cheapest home automation system, which won accolades at all the top engineering schools in India. Was also offered help in an IT park incubator by a state government to start my own entreprneurship venture, but as our prototype was not patented it did not materialize.

- My Academic qualifications are as follows:
10th: 79%
12th: 71%
B.Tech. (Electronics and Communications): 69%
GMAT: not taken yet, targetting a 700+ score.

My question is, that with all this research and development work, am i eligible for scholarships at good universities? as i lack on the part of work experience. Also, please suggest some good B-Schools which may take interest in my story.

Thanks,
Tanay

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:01 am
Hi Tanay,

Thanks for your post.

While your research work will be helpful in conveying success in your field, the research work in itself is not particularly appealing to the admissions committees for top MBA programs. In addition to analytical skills, they will be looking for leadership, teamwork, conflict management, career progression, presentation, and international work experience.

Extracurricular activities are an important part of the application process as well, both in college and since.

I suggest you prepare for and take the GMAT and then based on your score, work to narrow down a school list. Also, since most schools average 5 years of work experience, your application will also be stronger by waiting one more year at least to apply.

Please feel free to re-post here for additional feedback as you are preparing to apply.

Best,
Heidi

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Thoth » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:03 pm
Hello Heidi,

Thanks a lot for your help. I am taking GMAT in the third week of November, will it be too late to apply for 2013 batches then?