question on "leadership" and of course gmat scores

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, i have a question on refining my profile over the next couple of years in order to get me into a top tier MBA program.

I have always been so busy between my studies and social life, i never went out of my way to start an organization or somewhat. Therefore i feel the "Leadership" written on paper may be lacking, but i am a natural motivator and hardly demand recognition for the processes i facilitate. How is a top tier program to recognize such a quality, even though i never organized a soup kitchen?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by engineer_z on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14 am
H Z,

Thanks for your post. If I am reading your question right, I think you are asking about two things.

Leadership experience can come from either professional or personal experience. Since many applicants don't have professional managerial experience before they apply, they will often talk about leadership experience while working on an EC (i.e. organized a fundraiser for a non-profit). It seems like you have solid leadership experience from work, so you should be in good shape.

EC/Volunteer experience demonstrates to AdCom that you are interested in giving back to the community (in addition to highlighting other skill sets... leadership, team-work, organization skills). This experience can be during undergrad or while you are working. Even though we all work hard, its important to have some volunteer experience in your application. Since you are not applying this year, I would encourage you to pick up a volunteer activity. I am sure you can donate at least 2 hours a month to do something. Will make a difference in someones life and on your application!

In terms of GMAT - its hard to say without knowing what schools you are interested in. If you are shooting for a Top 25 school, I would say at least high-600s.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by engineer_z » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:33 am
8)
Last edited by engineer_z on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:57 pm
Hi Z,

Sounds like you are shooting for Boston. Other NE schools to consider are MIT, Yale, Tuck.

I am sure you will do fine on the GMAT. Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep