Might an MBA in Entrepreneurship hurt placement chances ?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I have a 3 yr old moderately successful start-up in my profile

Confident of making it to a top university,Im planning to pursue my MBA With Entrepreneurship as a major course.Then after I would like to take up a job for a period.

My question is, does my course in E'ship hurt my chances during placements/recruting as the recruiters might assume I might not be with them for long, or the company be less trustful in the ways I be given opportunities once recruited ?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm
Hi ash8ashok21,

Thanks for your post.

My view would be that it depends on what industry you are looking to move into after your MBA. Generally, consulting and banking firms would view your entrepreneurial experience as a positive rather than a negative as they are looking for impact-oriented, entrepreneurial students. Plus, those firms have high attrition rates anyway, so will be less concerned about your interest long-term.

Traditional corporations might be more skeptical of your long-term interest given your entrepreneurial experience as they are definitely more focused on recruiting for long-term employment. They tend to view rotational programs and other MBA hiring as a big upfront investment with intended long-term payback.

You will receive plenty of guidance once you are on-campus from your career services office and other students.

Best,
Heidi

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ash8ashok21 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:54 am
Wow!! Thanks for the advise Heidi!

As it is, Im not interested in banking or finance. So is it a wise thing to select colleges that are good in General Mgmt or operations and strategy(My main areas of interest next to E'Ship) and apply to them? And then after,on admit I will do an E'ship course ALSO, but i choose tha it will not reflect on my profile.

Is it a correct thing to do ?