Who should complete my letters of recommendations? Pls HELP

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I am really lost as to who should I ask to complete my letters of recommendations. I am currently unemployed. I can ask my previous manager. However, she will either refuse to write them because she is very busy or she will ask me to write the recommendations myself and she will send them.
For the job that I held previous to my last job, my manager is unable to complete them because of the corporation policy (government agency). I can ask my supervisor from the job that I held prior to my last two jobs but I am not sure whether he will be able to write a very good recommendation because of his poor writting skills. I really don't know what to do. Any advices are very much appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:01 pm
You don't think if you explain to your previous manager, she'll understand how important this is to you? You really shouldn't go back more than 3 years, but perhaps two jobs ago was only a few years ago? You can make the process easier for her by giving her bullet points that you want her to cover so that really it's just a matter of her providing her perspective on the accomplishments you ask her to highlight.

What are you doing with yourself during this time of unemployment? Any volunteer work or outside activities where you've demonstrated leadership? These are possible options for your second recommender.
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

by hraisha » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 pm
Thanks a lot for your reply machichi!
Let me first give you a bit of information about my self. I'm 35 years old, non-native speaker, I have a bachelor degree in business, major in finance from a public university in the states. I have over 6 years of experience in the financial services industry with one year experience as a team lead working on various projects for a bank. My GPA was 2.7 and I am currently studying to re-take the GMAT next month.
What worries me the most is that I don't have a lot of options as to who can write the recommendations so if one of the people that I am thinking of asking says no, then I am not sure what to do.
I will definitely ask my previous manager and will try to explain to her how it is important for me. Two jobs ago was more than 5 years ago, so maybe I should avoid asking my supervisor from that job. Is it okay to ask one of my colleagues who was not my supervisor but who was a project manager that I assisted on a project? The problem is that she is currently unemployed and I am not sure whether that would be a problem.
During this time of unemployment, I have been studying for the GMAT. I did about 1 year and a half of volunteer work at a language center that helps non-native speakers improve their written and verbal English skills. Is it safe to ask the director of the language center to write a recommendation for me?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 pm
hraisha wrote:Thanks a lot for your reply machichi!
Let me first give you a bit of information about my self. I'm 35 years old, non-native speaker, I have a bachelor degree in business, major in finance from a public university in the states. I have over 6 years of experience in the financial services industry with one year experience as a team lead working on various projects for a bank. My GPA was 2.7 and I am currently studying to re-take the GMAT next month.
My first question is about what kind of program you are applying to. 35 is old by MBA standards and the question "Why Now?" will loom large in the admissions committee's head. Perhaps you are looking at part time or executive programs? I guess given your unemployment, you're probably trying to jumpstart your career again?
hraisha wrote:What worries me the most is that I don't have a lot of options as to who can write the recommendations so if one of the people that I am thinking of asking says no, then I am not sure what to do.
I will definitely ask my previous manager and will try to explain to her how it is important for me. Two jobs ago was more than 5 years ago, so maybe I should avoid asking my supervisor from that job. Is it okay to ask one of my colleagues who was not my supervisor but who was a project manager that I assisted on a project? The problem is that she is currently unemployed and I am not sure whether that would be a problem.
The admissions committee might think you don't have a supervisor recommendation because your supervisor didn't think you did quality work. I think you should approach your former supervisor and explain that in not giving you a recommendation she is in essence giving you a NEGATIVE reference!

You can definitely ask one of your colleagues--a project manager definitely is in a position to evaluate your work! I think this could be a GREAT back-up plan. Her employment status does not need to be stated; rather she needs to focus on YOU and your value.
hraisha wrote: During this time of unemployment, I have been studying for the GMAT. I did about 1 year and a half of volunteer work at a language center that helps non-native speakers improve their written and verbal English skills. Is it safe to ask the director of the language center to write a recommendation for me?
Definitely! That has taken up a lot of your time and that person should know you pretty well by now. The thing is though, you may want to string together a goals essay that explains how this volunteer work has helped set you on a path toward a certain career.
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

by hraisha » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 am
The GMAT has been the biggest obstacle for me to go back to school and get an MBA. I did not get a decent score in three previous attempts. I am targeting full time MBA programs but none of the top 30. I think that for now I have three options as to whom I can ask for recommendations: My previous manager, my colleague who was a project manager that I helped on some projects and the director of the language center where I volunteered.
Thanks again machichi!