removed as question was wrong

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by khurram » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 pm
Last edited by khurram on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

Re: Tough Gmat Paper-Tropical Island

by Ian Stewart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:50 am
khurram wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

A certain tropical island received food donations in the form of powdered milk for distribution to its poorest residents, who were thought to be malnourished. Subsequently, the rate of liver cancers among those islanders increased sharply. The donated milk was
probably to blame: recent laboratory research on rats has shown that rats briefly exposed to the substances aflatoxin tend to develop liver cancer when fed casein, a milk protein. This result is relevant because _______.

A. in the tropics, peanuts, a staple of these island residents, support a mold growth that produces aflatoxin
B. the liver is more sensitive to carcinogens, of which aflatoxin may be one, than most other bodily organs
C. casein is not the only protein contained in milk
D. powdered milk is the most appropriate form in which to send milk to a tropical destination
E. the people who were given the donated milk had been screened for their ability to digest milk

ANSWER: A

I know that A makes sense but does it really go with the passage. Does not connect the dots to be a conclusion. Fill in the blanks are ususally conclusions. So I think that OA may be incorrect.

Thanks
Khurram
The author is trying to justify why milk is likely the reason for the cancer increase. We learn that milk combines with aflatoxin to cause cancer. We know the islanders ingested milk; the question becomes: how did the islanders ingest the aflatoxin? Nothing in the question itself tells us why aflatoxin is relevant to the islanders. Answer A tells us this- it's found in the island food supply.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com